Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM

hey sorry, one more question. If I do go with the kayak should I go with the sit inside or sit on top models?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM

For fishing, I think a SOT is best. Easier entry and exits from the boat. Much cooler during the summer and your legs don't get that crammed into a narrow tube feeling! If your worried about getting wet during colder weather, wear your goretex waders and a rain jacket.
Some dealers have demo days where you can try out different kayaks and canoes. You could also find a few places that rent them.

A couple of tips to remember when canoe/ kayak fishing...

The fish don't care what color the boat is. Get something visible to other boaters. bright colors are best. stay away from dark colors, they are hard to see in the water and can get hot to the touch in the bright sunlight.

Buy a basic boat and fish it a couple of times before adding accessories like rod holders and such. some come equipped as "angler" models. They are designed for spin and baitcast fishermen in mind. Those front mounted rod holders and GPS systems are magnets for catching flylines.

Get a comfortable PFD.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM

I will have another alum. river boat coming available soon. I have rehabbed it, added more flotation foam, new transom, etc.

I have a few people interested already before I even started. I can have it completely wired and ready for the river soon...

My current boat runs in about 6"-foot of water and is prefect for fly fishing.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Check out this web site. www.nativewatercraft.com they sell them at ovis shop in pigeon forge,tn.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM

hey everyone thanks for all the help, I ended up going with a 12.5 ft sit on top fishing kayak. Here is the pic of it.[IMG][/IMG]
I have used it a lot of the past few weeks up on the clinch, and it is pretty awesome. I love being able to fish places that I was not able to get to on foot. It rides really high up in the water so I am able to get over shallow areas with ease. It has great stability also. My only problem with it is the fact that I have to put in and paddle a couple miles up steam which has become a huge pain. It wastes fishing time because of all the paddling I have to do. But I can not find a good alternative to paddling up river. If anyone ever wants to do a float shoot me an email ahosenfe@utk.edu.
Thanks again for the help,
AJ Hosenfeld
Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM

You could probably check with a canoe/kayak rental place and negotiate with them to pick you up as if you had rented from them. I bet they'd do it for next to nothing.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah I have actually checked into that, and I can not find one that services the clinch river. There are a ton for the caney but not any for the clinch but oh well. The fly shop up there does a shuttle for 25 bucks but I do not want to have to pay that every time I do a float.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM

you'll get used to it. its kind of nice getting on the river early, paddling upstream to a shoal. You get tired of course but then you do get to see whats hatching and sometimes spot big fish as you come up behind them. Just remember that for the trip back downstream later in the day.
Now that you have the kayak, so many new places have opened up as fishing destinations. The clinch is but one of many great waters to cast a fly in east TN.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Yeah I have to agree with getting on the shoals first in the morning before anyone else floats through. I really enjoy flushing out not only the trout but also those all those pods of carp.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM

That's nice, I know you'll enjoy it. I went to Appomatox River Company Friday and traded my Olde Towne camper 15 for a Native Ultimate 12. I took it out a little Saturday on the lake just to play and get the feel. I like it! First Yak I've ever had but it's nice. I put a Scotty behind me with the flyrod holder and so far that's my only accesory I've decided on. I'm gonna rubber coat an old window weight for an anchor and rig a small piece of chain behind it to make it track straight downriver.
I'll say this so far, the Native is a lot easier to tote around and load on top than the olde towne was. One arm carry right down to the water and sling it in. Very stable and I stood up in it on the lake but I'll say it's not something I would make a common practice of in any canoe or kayak. I've got a Carolina Skiff for my standup fishing.