Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Malibu

Check out the Malibu Mini-X, around $600. I wouldn't stand in any kayak except the Freedom Hawk, but it's aroung $1800. Any other canoe or kayak and I want outriggers before I stand.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 AM

A suggestion on kayaks, try one before you spend the money. They rent boats for around $30.00 per day @ a downtown Knoxville shop. Trips are best if you have 2 people to eliminate the ‘shuttle issue'. Plus, it safer if something happens.

Standing in a kayak? You're asking for trouble.

To ajh10567: nice boat.

River Sports Outfitters Inc
2918 Sutherland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37919
(865) 523-0066
http://www.riversportsoutfitters.com/

Mark
<((((((><
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 AM

Try a NuCanoe. A canoe you can stand in. Another plus is if you duck hunt, it is stable enough for a retreiver to climb in without tipping.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM

I have read most the threads and I'm glad I did, because I never thought about a sit on top version for a fishing kayak.
I do have one question though for a novice. I plan to fish a small river (Red River in Clarksville, TN and a large creek Sulfur Fork. Port Royal State Park if you know the area). Is the fishing kayak a safe choice?
The currents are natrual and at some points the water may by 10' deep. The current is wadable at least until its too deep for me to stand in to find out. I want to get away and fish, but I also want to return home.
Additional information is this area is very popular for site seeing canoe trips, which made me think of the fishing kayak.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM

For those that want to stand and fish, you really should check out the Jackson Coosa. It is the first kayak designed specifically for fishing rivers. I can stand and fish in moving water (230 lb) with ease. When the water gets bumping, I do sit down however the elevated seat makes it easy. Some may find the elevated seat to be in a good enough position to flycast while still sitting. The standing area is flat for comfort, and is both longer and wider than other standable kayaks. Also the Jackson Coosa is made here in TN.

Last edited by Bfish; 01-31-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook Fan View Post
....I plan to fish a small river ....
You should have no problem. Just be mindful of the waterlevel (small streams can flash flood quickly) and avoid strainers (ie tree in current that acts like a sieve). I suggest you play around on a lake some too, as some streams require quick turns. Right now is not the time of year to take an acidential swim, you may want to wait till warmer weather. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback Bfish. I'm still putting money away in my metal can for now, but I'm reading up on the reviews that I can. Hopefully by the the time I have the cash saved I will also know exactly what to buy.