Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up Caney Fork is back in action! 07/21/09

What a day... Started off by getting up at 5:00, going to get breakfast, and got on the water at about 7:30. My dad and brother were in our jon boat, and I was in my kayak. My first couple casts produced nothing, until I reached the area near the steps, then the fun began. I started catching 5-10" browns on almost every cast.

I was having a blast, but I really wanted to get into some big fish. My dad and brother were anchored in a deep hole trying to lure a big brown out, so I kept floating a couple hundred yards, would fish, paddle back up to them, and do it again. I started getting into larger fish doing this, and I saw a really nice fish that I tried to key in on. I started the float down again, casting to my left, when I saw that fish about 3 feet closer to me than the fly was. So I did a large mend, and he MUNCHED it. I've never seen a fish hit a fly so ferociously. The fight was on:

It's the largest fish I've ever caught, spin or fly. We didn't get an exact measurement, but he was 20"-22" I'd guess, maybe more. I don't know what happened to him, but I guess he either popped off a stringer, got into a tangle with another fish, or a bait fisherman jerked the daylight out of his mouth because his jaw was in pieces.

Since I stepped into the water, my dad thought we might as well fish the shoals because they were so full of fish. I got to a point where I was literally getting a strike every cast. I let my brother borrow my rod while I was on Cloud 9, and gave him a little crash course. A couple casts later, he had his first fish on the fly. He ended up catching everything but a brookie, of all sizes (except 12"+). He got rather good, too.

Once I got over that monster fish, I started sight casting to fish in a clear pool, I could see 3 decent fish and 1 big brown. I caught all 3 of the decent fish, but the brown wouldn't bat a fin at my fly.

MANY more fish followed, until about 7:00 when we got out at Happy Hollow. I probably caught 3 dozen fish, and lost even more. I didn't get that brookie for the slam though. I'm so sunburned, but it was TOTALLY worth it!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 AM

sounds like you had a great day. congrats

i fished it on sunday from the dam to kirby. and the first half of the day was realy slow for us. but the second half just before happy to kirby picked up alot. we didn't catch alot of trout like normall. we caught a 26;; hybrid it was like 7lbs and two walleye that where 19'' and two more that where 15''. and a few nuce bows that measured 16 and 17''. but for some reason we just didn't seem to find the browns. well atleast not on our hooks lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 AM

I probably caught 6 rainbows, all the rest were browns. I really do think that the spawn survived, I could count count all the browns stacked up, nothing of size though.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Congrats, Trey!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Nicely done Trey.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks guys, it felt amazing doing that by myself. HUGE confidence booster. I can't wait to go back (once the sunburn heals)!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Very nice report.

Sorry to see that bow torn up. Just goes to show catch and release works. Even if the release is less than ideal. Did it jump for you?

GS
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 PM

No jumps thankfully. I saw him take the fly, I set the hook, and I knew he was the fish I hooked up with. Basically, I would have cried if I lost him because I knew I had the big one. He gave me several good runs, but once he got close to the boat he'd go nuts.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Well, I hope your next few big bows do some back flips for you. It is really cool.

GS
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Hey Worrgamesguy, I just got a new kayak and I think I am going to float the caney in the near future if you want to meet up or something. I looked for you this last weekend when I was up there, but I don't think I ever saw you.