Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Default 53

Last Weds my daughter, Bucky, and I packed into CS 53 for an overnight stay and some fishing. We started early but a little later than I had planned as we were watching the weather. I think we left 441 at about 9:05am. Due to my advancing age and warnings on this board we were traveling extra light. The hike in was beautiful and Tolkienish in nature. We didn't really see any wildlife including bears, but there were 8 piles of scat right on the trail in about the first 1.5 miles. A bear I assume had also pulled a blue berry bush right over the trail at one point. Anyway, we made it to 53 in 1hour 58 minutes.

Here is a pic at the start

We set up camp and gathered firewood then took a bit of a nap. About 2:30p we got up and went down river a ways to start fishing. I had a fly rod and Buck was using an ultralight spinning outfit with a green trout magnet. In the first run I got a rise to a yellow elk hair caddis?? You will have to forgive me in that I really don't know the flies too well. Anyway Buck threw in right behind me and caught this nice fellow on the first cast. It measured 10"

With spirits high we continued up creek and I caught another small rainbow on the fly but Bucky began to struggle. With the current, the rocks and the tight conditions she was not really enjoying herself. At one point she said, "Why am I the only one getting hung up?" I told her, "Because you are 11 years old and that is what eleven year olds do." She smiled at that. Anyway my plans to emphasize fishing quickly changed to emphasizing camping which Bucky enjoys. After about an hour of trying to fish we pulled out and headed to camp. I tried the water right around camp and lost my fly almost immediately to a tall Roddie which made Buck feel a lot better about things. I did get her outfit and after a couple of casts caught this rainbow on the magnet.

We had fish for supper. Here are a couple of pics from camp.

I had planned on fishing until about noon the next day, but told Buck I really didn't feel like it and we packed out kind of early. A couple of boys from Israel spent the night with us and they were doing the same. They took this picture for me.

We made it back up to 441 in 2hrs 21 minutes with one dedicated rest stop. It is a tough hike out no doubt. Here is Buck back at the truck which we were both happy to see.

I really don't have the fishing report I had planned on and I didn't come close to a slam but I guard Bucky's interest closely. She is the one that gets up with me and goes duck hunting, or deer hunting, or on a 4 mile hike into the Deep Creek Drainage. I am lucky to have her.

I could see the promise of the water and got several rises and strikes in the short time I got to fish. I could tell it was a great place. I had hoped to catch and eat a Brook Trout, kinda like reaching back in time in a very intimate way, but after seeing what was happening to the old growth Eastern Hemlock I didn't have the heart for it. If I'd caught one I would have taken the pic then wished him well.

At the end of the week my Mom asked Buck what she liked best about her vacation. She said the horseback ridding and the camping trip. That second place finish includes competition from Dolly Wood. As I said I am lucky to have her.

HD

Last edited by Hatchie Dawg; 07-28-2009 at 09:45 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 AM

That is a great report.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 AM

great report! Great pics man. I really think it's great you took a trip like this. Great job Dad.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

HD,
I am guessing that you and Bucky will never forget this trip. I work everyday with children who are abused and/or neglected. If more moms and dads would take the time to do what you are doing this world would be a better place for everyone...but most of all for the children. Thanks for sharing your story and trip.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Great Report!

HD, Thanks for sharing your pictures and story. Glad you had a great time. I just got back from a week long camping/fishing trip with three older teenagers (two of which were my sons) in Colorado and while I had great expectations of the fishing (which was outstanding - report to follow [at some point]) the most memorable times were the ones around camp.

You nailed it on the head - taking an 11 year old camping and fishing (and hiking 8 miles r/t) and having her list that as more enjoyable than Dollywood, make you a very lucky man!!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Great report. I hope to take my daughter on trips like that in 10yrs and 3 months!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Cool kid! Looks like you had a blast!