Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks for ya'lls replies. It truly is a special place to me and I will always have great memories there for the rest of my life
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Great report. I have fished both these streams since I was a boy and they hold a special place in my heart. One thing I am curious about is all the open information on this site lately. I know that everybody and their brother has a book on the park's fishing, but it still hurts to see open reports on Bunches and Ravenfork on the internet that millions of people have access to.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 AM

I feel better now. Glad I'm not the only knucklehead who thought he could bushwack down to the confluence of Flat and Bunches and fish it back up. Get off the trail and you can get in some rough county very quickly.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 AM

WNCFly--The isse of stream mention and informatin is something I've pondered all my career as a writer (30 years or so). I finally came to the conclusion, and it's one I'm comfortable with, that most of the Smokies' streams I treasured most fit into one of two classifications--they were either sufficiently far from the beaten path to offer their own protection (upper Raven Fork, for example, is all off trail, and there simply aren't that many folks who are going to venture all that far from a maintained trail) or else they got enough fishing to make them demanding. The one thing which gives me great comfort is that in almost 60 years of fishing Park streams I can confidently say the numbers or quality of fish haven't delcined overall. There are some streams which have gone downhill but others which have gotten better. Take Hazel Creek, for example. It takes a terrific licking and keeps on kicking.
Another thing to consider is that every guide worth his salt knows these places, and they use them.
All of that is by way of a general explanation/justification for what I've done in my forthcoming book. It has far, far more depth than the existing books in terms of giving access information on Park streams, and my view is that if someone is willing to work hard enough to get to a special place, it isn't right to keep it secret.
Having said all of that, I suspect what really underlies your thinking is precisely what gives me pause; namely, I sure do cherish solitude. Jim Casada
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Man this is a tough question. ...... I still believe the value and entertainment coming from reading the orginal story would not have been diminished but not naming the stream. Those that knew it ( and yes i did know it by the descriptions) would know it and those that didn't would still enjoy the story. Seems to me anytime a person writes a story saying how special and wonderful a place is .... it causes others to want to experience it as well which is in fact a good thing but it is the general experience not the specific experience that they are chasing. Naming names in my opinion isnt the purpose of these discussions but sharing the value and beauty of our experience is. In addition the orginal poster made a point to say that he didnt want to name names to protect the area.

As to naming it in a "how to" or more accurately a "where to" book that is something that is fine as it will be listed along with hundred of other ideas and places to fish without a neon sign that says try this one.... which this wonderful narrative and photos were a great representation of how neat the location is .... creating a neon sign.

Anyway this area is a way too tough of an area for a day hike (at least for fat old men like me) and the campsite is at least a limited use pre-reservation site so you can't just hop into the area unannounced. But as obviously discussed at this point ... it is a wonderful previously little known hidden jewel. And i know nowhere is really little known and hundreds and hundreds knew of it ..probably thousands .. but still......seeing it in print kinda makes me sad.

Will this post ruin it probably not..... can it get ruined yes it can........ as with all things we love we must wrestle with how to best protect them while at the same time wanting to share the beauty and majesty of the location. The original post in my opinion did a great job of that.

my two cents worth ....... which is worth every penny you actually paid for it.

DD
Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Yes.

Exactly, DD.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

most are not gonna brave the three forks......nor upper hazel....they are gonna stay away or even start and not get there....heck most never even get to sam's creek...off trail scares most visitors
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Default well said DD

I was born and raised next to the park and have been fishing it regular for 55 years. In the 50's thru the 70's you would see mostly locals on the streams, then more and more newspaper and magazene articles were written about the Smokies streams and now this internet thing has made authors out of all of us.......as of now there are 17 replies and 519 views on this thread!!!!
I have most of my fishing behind me and have enjoyed every second of it, but you younger guys are going to have alot more company on the creek with you.
GM
Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM

I have been really struggling with this question full disclosure or not when posting about a trip. Reading the threads from the full disclosure issue, both sides seem to have really good points.

I originally started viewing this forum for the purpose of information gathering more than just the stories. In my professional as well as my personal life I have always promoted sharing information to those interested.

With that said I will try to refrain from giving total stream, campsite and trial information. I still hope that the most committed could still use my information and with further efforts learn whats available.

Unless the owners of this Message board dictate specific rules than I can see this discussion continuing.

I would end with thanks to everyone that provided information that helped me with some of the best backcountry trips I have had. Even if the posts included full or partial disclosure I would have continued my research to learn more about these wonderful destinations.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Good report DK,
I'm glad you and your family had a good trip and I appreciate you sharing it with us.