Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Default I have arrived!

Well after the long drive from Little Rock, ar my family and I have arrived. Unfortunately it looks like some serious rain arrived before me. Can't change vacation plans based on high water (at least not with a 7 year old little girl.) So I had been hoping to fish Roaring Fork this afternoon, is this doable? When we got here this morning we drove through the park, most of the water was pretty raging, but there did appear to be some fishable water. The Roaring Fork, I thought maybe prone to dropping quickly after rain or it might be prone to being blown out. We are staying near there so i quess i can just go check it out, just wanting some input and killing time while my wife and daughter go touring the shops. In this high water I am quessing it might be a good time to throw some of these heavily weight stonefy nymphs i have tied up, or maybe a streamer? I hoping to get to visit Cataloochee on this trip also. Even if the fishing is not the greatest this week, seeing my little girls face when we watched the daybreak on newfound gap this morning was priceless. "Daddy those are clouds in the mountains."

Last edited by troutbum76; 08-01-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: i can't type
Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 PM

From reading the fishing report and talking to my aunt today it looks like most of the streams are blown out...have been in your shoes before....the upper reaches of Roaring Fork may be fishable tomorrow...you might try Walkers Camp Prong above Alum Cave Trailhead....you will need to go to high waters that empty first...I have found that in such conditions the fish can be found holding in pocket water close to the bank where they can get away from the current...still have to eat and have had some good days dropping a dry fly into such pockets.....large water is dangerous right now...watch your step.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Fished Walker Camp Prong today and there was fishable water in spots. Much of it was pretty stiff. Crossing the river gets a little dicey, particularly down lower close to the Chimneys Trailhead.

As Rog mentioned, if you go above Alum Cave Bluff trailhead, it starts to thin out a little. I fished up there and caught a bow, but there wasn't much action this afternoon. Problem is, more rain is expected on Sunday.

Fished dries the whole time I was up there, starting at the first bridge past the lap-over tunnel. Caught this guy just above where I started in the best looking water I saw all day.

Good luck and remember the higher the better right now.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Troutbum76--If you are willing to drive a few extra miles, you might consider crossing 441 over to the N. C. side. I fished lower Deep Creek today and while it's up and requires some care wading, I caught plenty of fish. Closer to you would be Beech Flats Prong, Bradley Fork, and Straight Fork, not to mention feeder streams such as Kephart Prong and Kanati Fork. They will be clear, barring heavy overnight rains, and none of these streams are as big as Deep Creek. We've had plenty of rain, and in a conversation today with Steve Claxton, a well-known guide on this side of the Park, he said he just got back from a three-day trip to Hazel Creek where the only fishing he could get for his clients came in a trip over to Eagle Creek. Still, we didn't get nearly as much as the Tennessee side. Jim Casada