Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM

One program WV and TU has to get the youth interested in the outdoors is the Trout in the Classroom program.

http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/

IMO, it is the best program TU has ever developed. It is a coordinated effort of industry (grants), TU (support/coordination), WV DNR (eggs), and of course the schools/children.

Three years ago we had 4 schools with TIC, it has spread like wildfire and this year have ~25 schools with 4 TU chapters supporting the program.

Earlier this year I hauled the fish to the stream for two of the schools. It is the best feeling I have ever had working within TU; to see these kids with posters, poems, cheers, etc. It is amazing!

How many of these kids will continue to maintain there enthusiasm for the outdoors, I don't know, but it has to start somewhere.

As for me, I'm doing my part with my son.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=SANY0246.flv

As for the cost of license, up until about 5-6 years ago I would buy an annual out-of-state TN license. When things were "froze up" here in WV, I would fish the TN tailwaters. Tennessee jacked there license by ~65% in one year and I haven't bought a TN license since. I buy the NC out-of-state and restrict my fishing to the park...not that that is a bad thing!

Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Default For Byron

Byron,
I was reading your fishing report this afternoon, and wonder if you may have overlooked something. There is another way to catch trout on a fly, and sometimes depending on the situation it is easier and you can reach fish with a spinning rod and a fly better than you would with a fly rod.

One method that I have used years ago, was a clear bobber (just to give the weight for casting) and a fly below it. Now back when I was utilizing this method I didn't know anything about dropper flies, or using more than one, but it worked, and sometimes suprisingly well.

Another method that I have used to catch trout on a fly with a spinning rod is the "golden bow" method. This is something that I read about in a book about fly fishing. The golden part comes from using a highly visible line, so that you can see the bow in the line that indicates a natural drift. You rig the flys on a peice of tippet and everything else is basically the same. It does require a little more weight for casting, but in many regards I find that flyfishing I normally do not use enough weight anyway.

These are just some thoughts about possible ways to still bring in the younger fisherman, utilizing spinning gear, but keeping flies as bait. It would probably take a little experimenting on one of your guys part so that he could instruct people in it, but I think it could work fairly well.

Just some thoughts.

Have a great Thanksgiving

Last edited by JohnH0802; 11-26-2009 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
On the issue of sharing/not sharing fishing spots, I tend to lean towards the fact that the vast majority of the people out there are not going to go to the effort to get to most of the out of reach areas.
7/21/10 Update:
I decided to forgo this idea indefinitely.

John, I very much agree with your assessment. Seeing very little downside and perhaps some benefit to the Park I want to facilitate interested fellow anglers logging fish on the "back of beyond" streams. To that end I've just now launched a new page at smokystreams.com/bob. There are protocol issues to work through before soliciting input, however, since in some circles, simply divulging a stream name is considered a "contentious" matter.

Last edited by JoeFred; 08-29-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM

JoeFred,
I look forward to seeing your new page when it is ready, and I think that many of the posts here contain some good information on ways to grow the sport.

John
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM

The "Back of Beyond" streams web page now has a form for submitting requests to log the results of angling trips to the selected remote waters. There are certain to be some bugs that will have to be worked out, but please give it a look see.

12/17/09 Update:
I've posted a formal annoucement in another thread.

2/1/10 Update:
I've decide to postpone this idea indefinitely.

Last edited by JoeFred; 08-29-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Added an update
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Hi John,

Sorry I missed your post about the clear bobbers until now. They do work great on a spinning rod and would be a good addition to our young anglers department. We are moving in a different direction (maybe temporarily) right now because of recent online sales growth. Paula and I will be attending a conventional tackle show in about two weeks and items like this will be shown to us. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I forgot all about this tackle item.

Byron
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Risk of increased poaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post

...I really like where you (PeteCz) said that maybe some streams should be mentioned while others are kept quiet. Streams like Little River, the Clinch, South Holson, Watauga, and Caney are not some well-kept secret. On the other hand, small streams in the park are easy to poach and mentioning them on the internet just gives dishonest anglers the idea to go catch a bunch of specs. I've talked to people that have all kinds of stories about poaching brookies out park streams....

...If I'm fishing a Little River trib somewhere upstream of Elkmont, I'll simply say I was fishing above Elkmont. This is plenty of information and if someone really wants to explore for themselves they can...
Having re-read David's and others' posts, I'm having some misgivings about continuing my Back of Beyond Streams Log project as-is if this type publicity might lead to increased poaching. Take, for example, the Little River tribs I list upstream of Elkmont (Fish Camp Pr, Grouse Cr, Kawahi Br, Meigs Post Pr, Rich Br & Rough Cr). If I were to log someone having caught a spec, etc., on one of them, would that increase the risk of the stream being poached? Should perhaps certain of these steams be omitted from the log? (My policy is to not include in the log the reported number or size or fish caught nor to divulge any particular stretch of a stream fished.)

2/1/10 Update
I've decide to postpone this idea indefinitely.

Last edited by JoeFred; 04-07-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Mention all the streams you like, no problem, very few people will walk 7.2 miles rt for a spec. Most poachers are interested in bigger fish and hatchery stocked streams. The real issue is, we need a regulation change. Let people take out some of the dinks out of the mountain streams.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM

No doubt. I know about these places and won't go! I stick to within two miles of the road, but that will change in March! Gonna do my fist back country fly fishing trip where I stay overnight.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM

I've decided to postpone the Back of Beyond streams logging indefinitely and to instead focus on adding valve to the maps.

JF