Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Deep creek Saturday afternoon,

Mountains were calling me Saturday but I had to work for a while. Knowing there would be quite a crowed I started running down my list of possible streams too escape the many visitors and catch fish. Checked the message board then called little river to see if any one had given a report on deep creek. After speaking to Paula I decided that would be my destination. Got to the trail head at 3pm loaded up water, sandwiches, vest, rod, real, rain coat, flash lights, hat, hiking shoes, felt sole shoes, neopreen socks and every thing else I felt I would need to spend the afternoon alone fishing. I got a little heavy! Made the trek down the upper regions of deep creek. Had the place to myself it was beautiful and quite.

Started out with a green weenie caught a nice brook on my first cast and thatís how the rest of the evening went. Lost count of the brooks I caught large and small. Caught many small and large rainbows as well. Lost as many as I landed. Brooks out numbered bows about 5 or 6 to one. Have no idea of how many fish I had the pleasure of playing with. I had tied up about 12 green weenies I ended the day with one. As it got dark down in the gap I tried out a few dries but they did not seem interested. Tied on a Barbie weenie and the brooks tore it up they love it. It was 50 to 100 fish aftnoon none stop action. It was rough climbing over logs and the nettles had my legs stinging. But it was well worth it got back to my truck exhausted soaked with sweat and legs aching as the sun was setting. It was a perfect end to a great day. If you are looking for lots of eager fish I highly recommend it just be prepared and I do not suggest you do in alone if you are not familiar with the area.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Sounds like a great afternoon! Did you fish the Right Fork properor Sahlee or Rocky Creek? Iassume you must have satrted somewhere close to where the trail from 441 first come to the stream. Since this is my "home" water, I'm always interested in Dee Creek reports. Jim Casada
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Jim,

I hiked down past where the stream gets close to the trail. There is a nice open area near the stream. It looks like a it would be a good place to camp. I fish down stream and up stream from that location. I have had very good results there but Saturday was one of the best days I have ever had in the park as for numbers of fish. I wish I could give a better discription of the location. As you travel down the trail it is past where the smaller stream on the left of the trail joins the steam to on the right. The water was running great, clear but a little color. The fish were active and I was able to catch many in the clear back of pools. I will take a look at some maps and give you a better location.

Calvin

Last edited by Redfish62; 08-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: to many lefts
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Calvin--I know exactly the spot you are talking about. I haven't looked at a map, but it's right in the area where Sahlee Creek enters the Right Fork. I agree the area along the trail, a typical beech flat of the sort often found around 3500-4000 feet of elevation, would make a nice campsite. It would be a lot more convenient than the better part of two more miles of hiking to reach Poke Patch. Jim Casada
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Illegal Camping

A couple of years ago when I traveled down there, there was an unauthorized campsite with a fire ring, etc in the area that you are describing. It was quite easy to spot from the trail and was right along the stream. This past year when I hiked in, I couldn't find it. Perhaps the NPS scattered all the remnants of it and pulled brush into the area to camouflage it.

Does anyone know what is the fine is for camping in an unauthorized campsite? Not that I would do it, just curious.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Illegal camping

The first time I went there a couple of summers back There had been camping there and there was a "no camping sign" the disapeared. Perhaps we could ask the park service to make it an office back country camp sight.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish62 View Post
Mountains were calling me Saturday but I had to work for a while. Knowing there would be quite a crowed I started running down my list of possible streams too escape the many visitors and catch fish. Checked the message board then called little river to see if any one had given a report on deep creek. After speaking to Paula I decided that would be my destination. Got to the trail head at 3pm loaded up water, sandwiches, vest, rod, real, rain coat, flash lights, hat, hiking shoes, felt sole shoes, neopreen socks and every thing else I felt I would need to spend the afternoon alone fishing. I got a little heavy! Made the trek down the upper regions of deep creek. Had the place to myself it was beautiful and quite.

Started out with a green weenie caught a nice brook on my first cast and thatís how the rest of the evening went. Lost count of the brooks I caught large and small. Caught many small and large rainbows as well. Lost as many as I landed. Brooks out numbered bows about 5 or 6 to one. Have no idea of how many fish I had the pleasure of playing with. I had tied up about 12 green weenies I ended the day with one. As it got dark down in the gap I tried out a few dries but they did not seem interested. Tied on a Barbie weenie and the brooks tore it up they love it. It was 50 to 100 fish aftnoon none stop action. It was rough climbing over logs and the nettles had my legs stinging. But it was well worth it got back to my truck exhausted soaked with sweat and legs aching as the sun was setting. It was a perfect end to a great day. If you are looking for lots of eager fish I highly recommend it just be prepared and I do not suggest you do in alone if you are not familiar with the area.

Good luck!
Could you give a few more details as to where you where actually fishing? I am fairly familiar with Deep Creek. My wife is from there and I visit often.