Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Big Park fish

I have been working for the GSMNP fisheries biologists lately shocking streams for I & M (Inventory and monitoring) purposes. This is basically done to keep tabs on population numbers. Here is a nice one we shocked up the other day on a fairly small stream. Thought ya'll might enjoy.

Here's the fish with my ugly mug in the pic...

[IMG][/IMG]

What a fatty! A true trophy for such a stream.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Nice fish...now we just a good wide angle shot so I can figure out where I'm going on my next fishing trip...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Nice fish...now we just a good wide angle shot so I can figure out where I'm going on my next fishing trip...
Hahaha! That would be nice of me wouldn't it...I'll give ya a hint, its on the NC side of the park and not all that tough to access.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

I figured as much...I think its one of two streams and I'm pretty sure which one of those two it is... Suppose I'll have to fish there more often...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

Wow!

How much would the name of that stream cost me?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish62 View Post
Wow!

How much would the name of that stream cost me?

Haha...now there's a business opportunity I haven't considered...

My advice, just fish streams that have a good brown trout population with the usual tactics and hope to get lucky. Having said that, I know where they're at and still can't catch 'em, so take it for what its worth...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
I figured as much...I think its one of two streams and I'm pretty sure which one of those two it is... Suppose I'll have to fish there more often...
Another hint...its not one of the better known brown trout streams in the Smokies, but holds a pretty good population none the less.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM

Bugg, that is a truly nice fish. I helped Steve and Matt shock Cataloochee last September and even they were suprised at how few larger fish we found. Only one or two over 13" in two days of electrofishing. Good to see some big boys still around. I hope to be able to volunteer to help again soon. It was very educational and I enjoyed working with both Steve and Matt.
Thanks
Jedidiah Green
Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Jedidiah--I'm not overly surprised you didn't find many big fish. The drought really took a toll on big fish. The browns are gone, apparently totally gone, from Abrams Creek, and I'm seeing far fewer in most streams. However, there's another part of the equation I doubt that the fisheries biologists mentioned, although I have recently talked with Matt about it. I'm convinced, and my opinion is based on personal observation along with input from a number of other folks who spend a lot of time fishing Park waters, that otters are wreaking havoc. Big browns are the easiest of all fish for them to catch, and comparatively slow moving water (such as you find at Cataloochee in most places) makes them even more vulnerable.
I think restoration of otters has created a problem which will expand a great deal in coming years, and it will be interesting to see what happens when they start working on specs which the Park has spent so much effort restoring.
I'd be curious as to what others think, since this whole thing has been pretty much under the radar. Jim Casada
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM

What did Matt have to say about it? I've watched them in the Stones River along the greenway, and they sure are good at catching fish. I watched one chomp down on what appeared to be a bass about 15 inches long this week. They do have an appetite. I can see where a family could go through a lot of fish.