Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Fish Camp Prong

Going to do an overnight trip soon and fish up Fish Camp Prong. Any advice on this stream like what might I expect to catch and what to use this time of year? Also which backcountry campsite would you stay at #23 or #24 or another?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM

If you are only doing one night I would stay at 24....but check on whether it is open...had been closed earlier for bear activity...from 24 it is a short walk back to FCP...grew up fishing this particular stream and love everything about it...some great dry fly water....favorite stretch is about a mile or so up the river to where the trail narrows and there is a big while rock on the left where the trail turns to the left...there is a high bluff on up the trail a ways....if you put in just before the trail starts to climb there is a nice stretch of flat water that usually fishes well...campsite 23 is at the Goshen Prong...either side here the water gets smaller but still has good fishing but there are no trails to come out on....it is quite a hike back to 23 so not much of a deal if only for a night....EHC in yellow, stims, para adams or thunderhead for dries....have had good luck in the past with a lead wing coachman wet fly....
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks Rog1 for the reply! I got a spot tomorrow night at #24. I asked the lady at the backcountry info line if there were any spots still left there and she said "oh yeah all kinds" so that was easy lol. It does have a bear warning but I think it always does. Probably from the bear that trashed PlateauAnglers tent a couple months back. I am pretty excited about this one. Thanks for the info on fish camp prong too!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Just be careful wading, it has a blowdown of trees about half a mile up from the mouth. It's half a mile below of the spot Rog talked about. I was there about a month and a half ago. Very tricky during high water.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Thanks tennswede I will be careful. I am making it a weekend backpacking trip and will be coming down from Clingmans to cs # 24 via goshen prong trail. Then fishing tomorrow night and back up to Clingmans on Sunday via rough creek and sugarland mtn trails. It will be quite a haul back up there but I do a lot of backpacking. Its the fishing that I am not really good at. Will anyone else be in the LR/Fish prong area over the weekend?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Crockett,

How did the trip go? I have been thinking about going up there in September, and was wondering what it was like.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Hey Scott well it was quite an adventure. It rained a lot up at Clingmans and Saturday night at #24. It also rained Sunday. On Monday morning I checked the Newfound gap 24 hour weather report and it showed .64 inches which seemed about right but down in Maryville they got no rain at all. I didn't get much fishing in because the hike was long and hard. I left Clingmans dome at noon on Saturday and got to #24 at around 6pm. It was raining hard when I got there and got camp setup. I fished in the pouring rain for less than an hour near #24 using a greenie weenie and caught a little bow that fell off before I got it in. Never fished in the pouring rain like that so that was new to me. Got up early on Sunday and hiked out since I had a big climb back up. I left camp at 8am and went up via rough creek trail (rough creek looked fishable I wonder if anyone fishes it) to sugarland mtn trail over mount collins on the AT back to clingmans. That was a heck of a climb and it took me till 6pm to get back to my truck. Didn't get to fish on fish camp prong or goshen prong but both looked great. I plan to go back and this time walk up from the little river trailhead which is much wiser if you plan on getting much fishing in.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM

With the water the way it is this year Rough Creek will have fish in it....it is a tight little "crick" once you get away from the camping area....I have caught browns and bows withing sight of my tent....sorry you were not able to fish coming down....you walked past some of the best dry fly water in the park on the upper sections of FCP and Goshen....
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Man! I hate that you had bad weather.

Thanks for the report. I would be hiking from down at the Little River trailhead if I go.

thanks again.

Scott
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Smart idea hiking it from LR trailhead. Next time I am going to do that so I can spend my day concentrating on fishing instead of walking lol! Although it was a very nice hike. There is a cave up high on the goshen prong trail about a mile up above #23 that was fairly big. It is right on the trail. I stopped since it was raining and shined my flashlight back in it and was surprised to see a pillow and sleeping bag amongst other stuff back in there. It was very dark and I couldn't see if it turned a corner on back. I yelled in there but no one answered. Kinda scared me thinking it might be someone on the run from the law or something like that in there but probably just abandoned gear.