Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Carlito,
I like the looks of that SOG knife....I always carry my trusty old KaBar,but still might buy one of those some day.
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either in the hands of somebody who knows how to use them.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:58 PM

I actually carry the plain edged Sealpup Elite with the bead blasted finish (I think SOG calles it "satin"), and I am very pleased with it. I also carry a fire striker in the small pouch on the sheath and some dryer lint in my chestpack for those riverside trout lunches! Can't go wrong with the good ole KaBar. There's a reason that knife has been so popular. Does yours have the compartment in the handle for a survival kit?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:51 AM

The KaBar that I carry is the regular old Marine knife...I have several and they're all great but this one just has a great feel to it.
I also carry flint and steel and a few other survival items whenever I roam in the woods.A military tritium lensatic compass is my favorite also,there's better,lighter ones though.
I learned to make a fire with flint and steel from a friend who did mountain man reenacting about 30 years ago....if you haven't tried it,learn how to make "char cloth",it will hold a spark and start a fire better than anything and is easy to make.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM

Try a small pice of fine steel wool. Catches a spark like crazy. I just carry a bic lighter in my vest. Thousands of lights. Needs a small plastic bag to keep the flint dry though.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM

I second the bic lighter and with all the dead hemlocks in the woods now a quick start to a fire is almost guaranteed.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM

Unhappy This thread has taken a bad turn

I really enjoyed reading this thread until it was no longer about fishing. It's nice to see people follow up question posts iwth a description of how the experience went.

It's a shame that people often come up with far fetched conclusions to what they see. If a convict, pot grower, or crazed rebel was in the forest, I really doubt they would be in that cave that's pretty much on the trail for every hiker to see. Often when we are in remote areas we forget how much use they actually get. I'm not trying to say that **** doesn't happen in the forrest, but let's be real.

Since it was raining wouldn't it make much more sense that someone stashed their gear? Maybe someone will find my hidden tennis shoes when I hike in to fish and think that was all that was left from a bear encounter.

I'm heading to the park right now and hope to post a nice report in the next few days!

Rant Over,
james
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

It's a shame that people often come up with far fetched conclusions to what they see. If a convict, pot grower, or crazed rebel was in the forest, I really doubt they would be in that cave that's pretty much on the trail for every hiker to see. Often when we are in remote areas we forget how much use they actually get. I'm not trying to say that **** doesn't happen in the forrest, but let's be real.
Dude, I don't think anyone that has posted on this thread has come to any "far fetched conclusions" or even any conclusions at all. Also, that cave that Crockett was referring to is about 7 miles from trailhead, and if he felt funny about it, he did the right thing to trust his instincts and head on out of there. I think everyone here is "being real," and I personally enjoy hearing about what sort of gear other people carry when they are in the woods. Sorry you don't enjoy the same.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM

I really don't feel that this thread took a bad turn.

Sometimes it is good to hear what other fishermen run accross. It doesn't seem that it was that long ago that people were chatting it up about kayaking the Raven Fork and other such foolishness. As far as I am concerned most of the "kayakers" in the park are as bad as the tubers.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
I really don't feel that this thread took a bad turn.

Sometimes it is good to hear what other fishermen run accross. It doesn't seem that it was that long ago that people were chatting it up about kayaking the Raven Fork and other such foolishness. As far as I am concerned most of the "kayakers" in the park are as bad as the tubers.
Kayaking in the park is hardcore for sure. Those guys and gals are nuts!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM

I personally really got interested in it when it turned into CSI! And I do enjoy hearing about other's preferences for gear etc. In the last 10 minutes I've Googled 3 different things on this thread that I had no idea of before including the definition of "troglodyte". What a neat word!
True story: I was 11 years old on a 4 night camping trip in the Virginia Blue Ridge along the AT. We were on a trip with the Royal Ambassadors church group. I went downhill one evening to get water from the spring for the campsite, I was on edge because of the counselors feeding us a bunch of stories about an escaped convict in the area. A treetop shook down in the ravine as I walked the ledge above the spring, I looked over to see the "coon" or "opossum" but there was a man looking back at me with a huge kbar in his hand. He started scuffling and scrambling toward me, I threw the bucket and took off. Back at camp they radioed the state police who were there within a couple of hours. I was interviewed several times and we were taken back out to civilization that night. I'll never forget it, but the funny thing of it all now is that we all thought the counselors were just pulling our legs about the escapee.