Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Smile Beaufort Reds update

The fishing for tailing redfish is still going strong. Great tides this past weekend and into the next. Merkin crab patterns with weedguards, spoon flies, and shrimpy/crabby patterns continue to do well. I am hoping to get at least one more evening in this week. Here are the latest photos.

This was on Aug 1st with a fairly low high tide

After earlier battling a racoon for position, I landed a decent one.

Took my fishing partner Larry out to that same spot on the 2nd

Couldn't go on the 15th because it was my Anniversary, but I managed to scout this one out, and then got him on the 16th. I had another on but managed to loose it.

Went out to a spot not to far from the house on Monday the 17th when I got back from work. By the time I got there it was 6:15 pm and there was really too much water already. I lucked out and caught 1/2" of tail out of the corner of my eye and caught this one within 5 minutes of getting there. Did not see another fish, at least that I could get to.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Man those are great pics, I hope I can get back down to the low country soon, with Grad school starting back up and work and so on it gets tough. But some day I'll be back living down there invious of people that live where I do now Nice fish John!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Default location

Brian,
I understand what you mean. It is great being this close to fishing for reds, but if I had a choice I would be living up in the mountains close to the trout fishing. I do try and make the best of it. The bottom line is I don't always have enough time or money to trout fish when I want, so I had to find something closer.

John
Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Default Late breaking update

Went out again this evening (18 Aug). I saw 5 or 6 tailing fish as we walked out, and Larry went after them. He ended up catching this nice 29 incher. He was using a Merkin crab pattern, and he had about 3 tailing fish between him and the fish he was fighting as he brought it in.

I on the other hand saw and cast to two redfish, good casts the fish took my fly, and broke them both off on the hookset. I need to coral my enthusiasm a little. I guess I have a long history of being overly aggressive on my hooksets. I guess this means that I have to spend some time now replacing the flies I lost today.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 PM

Dude John your'e freakin killin me man! Awesome pics sir, next time i come down there you are gettin on my boat, and you can tell the CO (your wife as you explained) I said so!
Tight Lines

Barry not Brian! ha

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Default Sorry

Barry,
Sorry about that. I will be more than happy to go out with you on your boat the next time you are down, just remember as a non-boater I don't know too much about the places to catch fish from a boat. I am just learning the good places to go where I have to walk.

John
Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up

Awsome pics and great report! Love to hear how the saltwater flyfishing is going! Big Thanks!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Default What a great 10 days of tides

Fished again on Saturday and Sunday. The morning tide was actually 8 feet for both days.

On Saturday I saw a number of fish tailing. Quite a few of them were in the high thick grass where it is extrememly dificult to get the fly down in the watter and keep it there. I was watching one in front of me to see if he kept coming into the shorter grass, followed him up past me and was now facing immediately behind where I was looking, and saw a submarine getting ready to surface. This wake was huge and this fish was not meandering, he was moving like he was on a mission. I cast about 3 yards in front of him, twitched it once and the wake changed course slightly towards the fly, and then it was on. It took me a bit to land this one, he took my 1/2 way into my backing twice. I finally got him in and he was 31 1/4 inch red. That ended up being the last fish that I cast to that day, but it was worth it. I saw 2 or 3 others tailing while I was fighting him, but by the time I landed that fish the water had gotten too deep where I was to see the fish.

My partner Larry caught one nice one on a hybrid of a Merkin crab that I had tied for him, and broke another off. Sorry I didn't get a picture of this one (we were too far apart).

Brian, another member of our Beaufort, SC fly fishing club (Sea Island Fly Fishers, http://www.flyfishingbeaufort.com/ ) finally managed to catch his first redfish while wading. He was using a spoonfly that he made.

On Saturday night I tied my partner Larry another hybrid merkin crab pattern to replace the one he broke off on a fish, and I tied one up for my daughter Jessica. We went outh Sunday around 1030 for a 12 noon high tide (at our location). I put Jessie in a spot where I knew she would see fish. She ended up breaking off a really nice fish. I chased one for about 200 yards and got to make one cast before it disappeared into the tall grass, and lined the fish. Saw plenty of fish, some cruising, and some tailing. The water got deep really fast and when you did see one, it was not for long. Jessie had a couple of other tries, but the fish just didn't stay visible for long enough to get a cast in the right place. All in all still a good day on the water. I guess I will be tying up some more of those crab patterns. They seem to be working really well. The fish Larry caught took that fly about 6 inches into its mouth, and he set the hook as soon as the fish took the fly.

John
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Man you are killing it down therre! Way to go! Cannot wait to get back down there, how late in the year do you see tailers in Beaufort?
Barry

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Tailers

Barry,
It depends a lot on the water temp, but normally at least through September. October can be good if it hasn't cooled off too much. I will try and get a picture of the crab pattern that it tied, I will just have to wait until I can tie another to do it.

John