Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Information on Caney

My son-in-law and I will be going to the Caney for the afternoon to do a little fly fishing tomorrow----------does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what to use that might us land a few? We would welcome anyone who would like to meet us there. Just let us know the time. Thanks for any help
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Do a forum search, and you will find a ton of info on the Caney. Someone ( wish I could recall who) had a source for a good map showing the access points. There is a good, but not as good map available from the TWRA web site. The post regarding the map was within the Month of August or late July. The TWRA map does show more backroads though. Expect midges and a lot of company. Have a good trip.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Ok, I just had to know so, searched it. Hopefully this site will post. If not look for posts by Gerry Romer for the map.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/cen...Caney_Fork.pdf
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Default Caney Map

Thanks for the link to the map. I will print it off and use it tomorrow. I know it may be crowded but this is the only time my son-in-law can go, so we will probably have plenty of company.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Default Generation schedule

Today's generation schedule was on for 2 hrs, up until noon I think. Tomorrow's isn't posted yet, but possibly similar? You can ck later today at http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/la...bmit=View+info

sb
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Caney Report

SkipJack,
I fished the Caney this afternoon near mile marker 26 and it was on fire. Caught lots of browns, rainbows and brookies.
I suggest that you park below the dam, at the Buffalo Valley Management Office (on the northeast side of the river) at the end of the road and follow the trail about one half mile downstream and enter the water at the stairs. You can wade a short distance upstream and several hundred yards downstream.
You are correct, it will be crowded, but there is lots of room to fish.
I caught fish on a greenie weenie, a wooly bugger and a bead head soft hackle. Midges usually fish very well.
Good Luck!
William
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM

Default Super Info for Caney

Wm1miller
Thanks for the info. I have all the flies you mention and will use all tomorrow. I fished this area last year with lots of other guys and still caught some nice bows but no browns or brookies. I hope my luck changes tomorrow. I will give a report next week. Again thanks for info.
Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjack View Post
I fished this area last year with lots of other guys and still caught some nice bows but no browns or brookies. I hope my luck changes tomorrow.
I won't be fishing tomorrow but next time you head this way give me a holler and I'll try to put you on some browns and brookies if you're interested...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 PM

Default Caney Tomorrow

Plateau Angler
Will let you know when I am back this way and hope we can hook up for a trip. I am going to experiment with some other flies that are not used much on the Caney and see if I can get some hits----scuds, eggs and worms. Thanks
Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Scuds are definitely a standard on the Caney, more so in some sections than others.

sb