Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Default New Mexico Fly Fishing

I was in New Mexico on business this week and decided to take my fly rod with me and catch some streams out there. The best part of my plan was blown when I got stuck in the Atlanta airport for 6 hours Monday on the way out - instead of arriving at 12:18, I got landed in Albuquerque at 6:15 with about a 2 hour drive ahead of me - bummer.

So I was stuck with a couple of short trips on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings after I finished working. Both nights I got on the water about 6:00 with daylight running out a little after 8:00.

Tuesday night I went to the Jemez River on a stretch that was somewhat equivalent to our Smokies freestone streams. Difference was, the water was a dark brown coffee sort of color and not from high rain runnoff. Kind of weird looking. Well, I didn't see sign one of a trout so I hopped back in the car and went about 10 miles up the road to the East Fork of the Jemez. This stream was totally different. It's basically a meadow stream.

As you can see, the water is very flat, very few rocks/riffles, lots of tall grass and weeds around and generally ranging around 10-12' across. There were lots of 20-somethings camping and hiking (and wading through the stream) through the area but only ran into one other fisherman, a young guy who was just walking out with a spinning rig. This was my first attempt at meadow fishing and it was definitely a challenge. With no boulders to hide behind, you have to really get low to keep from spooking the fish - when you get really low, hanging up in the grass and weeds gets to be a regular event. Really takes some getting used to.

With trout rising everywhere, I spent the first night (only about an hour before dusk) untangling my line and spooking fish. I was using a dry and, whlie I did get some strikes, I had no real takers. There was enough action, though, that I knew I had to come back the next night.

On Wednesday night, I went straight back to the same place with about two hours of sunlight to play with. Once again, I started with dries and later added an ant trailing the dry. I started getting stikes on both and hooked about 3-4 before finally catching this brown.

Caught this guy on a beetle - turns out terrestrials were probably the ticket all along. By the time I started to really get the feel for how/where to fish this place, the sun ran out on the second day.

Definitely must go back when I can spend some more time and work on the meadow techniques but it was a great way to decompress after a day of work. For another trip, I'd like to try the Valles Caldera National Preserve, formerly thousands of acres owned by the Baca cattle company. They take 10 fishermen per day into a stretch of the East Fork upstream from where I was (for a fee of course) to fish from 8:00 till 3:00. Look it up on line if you get a chance - looks like a great way to spend a day.

BTW, my first trout outside the Smokies - something of a milestone.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com

Last edited by nvr2L8; 08-21-2009 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-22-2009, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the post Charlie! It's always great to see what the trout fishing in other states is like.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Uh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
BTW, my first trout outside the Smokies - something of a milestone.
Its all downhill from here you realize...

Pretty soon you will be contemplating how to catch fish in every state and wondering if every ditch has fish in it as you pass it...

Nice Fish!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM

That's a downhill I can live with.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing... I'll look forward to hearing about Valle Vidal whenever you make it out there again as it is a place I've been wanting to visit for awhile. Hope you're able to get back out there sometime soon...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Check it out. http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/fish/.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM

Charlie,

I fished the East Jemez a couple years ago. It is pretty cool. Lots of small browns. I did well with a bwo emerger. (It was in Sept.) There is a bend in the stream just beyond that straightaway in your picture, and I pulled out about 8 in a 20 minute stretch.

I can tell you about some other good streams in that area if you are interested.

Scott
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Scott,

Definitely interested. Either post here or email me at bartonca@hotmail.com.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Great stream

I fished this same stretch back in May 08. There was still snow in the shade when I was up there and there was a little more flow due to snow melt. Definately a wonderful experience. I had a little trouble figuring it out as well and finally managed to catch a dozen fish on the second day of the trip. To make it more interesting, I had an elk stumble into my camp at 2:00 AM that scared the life out of me and added to the memories.

DR