Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Default New Book on Fishing in the Park

Fellow Forum members--Byron and Paula have most graciously given me permission to post information on my just-published book. Entitled Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider's Guide to a Pursuit of Passion, the work represents the culmination of a marvelously misspent lifetime fishing Park waters, traveling Park trails, camping in the backcountry, and delving into the region's storied past.

The book is a big one, running to 448 pages, and obviously its appearance is timed to coincide with the Park's 75th anniversary (though some of you probably know that I've been working on it for many years). Its 52 chapters include coverage of every major Park stream as well as small feeder creeks, considerable human and natural history, tactics and techniques, "Seasons of the Smokies," equipment, and safety issues.

Other features include dozens of graphs which show changes in stream elevation in comparison with stream length. These graphs (there is one for each of the Park's major creeks and rivers) also show waypoints of note such as backcountry campsites, trail crossings, and feeder creeks. There are scores of both vintage and modern photographs, graphs showing monthly variations in temperature and precipitation, information on guides and outfitters, a removable folding map of trails and backcountry campsites, and an extensive annotated bibliography. My long-time friend and angling literature icon Nick Lyons wrote the Foreword for the book.

My intention was to provide a truly comprehensive guide to the Park, one which addresses all things of interest to the serious angler and does so in much more depth. Folks who read the book in pre-publication form have been very gracious in praising it. Nick Lyons said: "This is a book anyone who knows or plans to visit the Smokies will cherish, but also a book that anyone who takes pleasure in fine writing about the outdoor world and especially fly fishing will greatly admire. I do."

Sam Venable, a name many of you who reside in east Tennessee will readily recognize from his years of writing for the Knoxville News-Sentinel, comments that "a detailed how-to book like this can only come from someone who has 'been there, done that' and knows how to put those experiences on paper. If your passion is trout of the Southern highlands, this book will prove as indispensable as a favorite rod and wading boots."

Then there are the thoughts of none other than Byron Begley, who has been immensely supportive of this project from the outset and to whom I owe an inestimable debt of gratitude. "I am fascinated by this book," he says, "and will be from now on. This is the complete book about fly fishing in the Smokies. It is obvious that Jim Casada knows more about Park streams, the area's history and heritage, and our sport than anyone I know. It is a masterpiece."

The book is available in both paperbound and hardbound forms. The latter comes with a dust jacket. They sell for $24.95 and $37.50 respectively and will be available through Little River Outfitters or directly from me (High Country Press, 1250 Yorkdale Drive, Rock Hill, SC 29730; tel. 803-329-4354; web site www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com).

That's the dope on the book but I would be remiss were I to complete this post without tendering the heartiest of thank yous to Byron and Paula. They represent, in person and in their business, all that is so delightful about our wonderful sport.

Jim Casada
Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks to you for the info on the book and to Byron and Paula for allowing you to post. You can bet I'm going to get a copy although I do not get to fish the Smokys much anymore. Wouldn't happen to have a chapter on otters would it? Just kidding about the otters.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Jim,
When will your book be availible for purchase?
Paul
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Can't wait to get my own copy :)

Now for a strategy that provokes my wife to "surprise" me with one, believeing it is her idea to do so. By the way I picked up an older issue (2006) of Eastern Flyfishing that had an article by you (Mr. Casada) and thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it, can't wait to get my hands on this book.

God Bless,
Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Jim, I am very much looking forward to combing through all 448 pages.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 08-22-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Paul--It is, in effect, available now, or at least I'm taking orders. The shipment is scheduled to arrive here on Monday and I'll start filling orders on Tuesday. For those of you who are convenient to Townsend, I'll be drop shipping to Byron and Paula on that day as well. Also, I should have mentioned it in the post that you can read excerpts on my web site (www.jimcasadaoutdoors). The two shortish chapters on Indian Creek (N. C.) and Road Prong (Tenn.) are there in full along with the Table of Contents and a bit more. Ordering information is available as well. Thanks for your interest.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks, Jim! My buddy Elkins had already told me about it, and I've got my fingers crossed for a November birthday present from the lady
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Hi Jim and friends,

You are going to love this book. I can't imagine how many hours were spent writing it and all the years accumulating the content in Jim's mind. It is a masterpiece.

Jim sent me the book in a Word Document last year. I opened the document, hit print and started working on something else. Our printer kept running out of paper. When the printing was done I punched the pages and put them in two large three ring binders. And for months I read a little at a time in my office. I love it and can't wait until next week to get the final copies to hold, touch and sell.

I want to thank you Jim for being our friend and a frequent contributor to this forum. That makes it special for me and many other anglers and readers. And thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge about fly fishing in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in your book. You should be proud. I'm gonna call it "Pursuit of Passion".

Byron
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Great news Jim,I love reading and can't wait to get a copy.
Congratulations!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Jim,

I just got my copy of Last Train to Elkmont in the mail on Saturday. As soon as I finish reading it, your book will be my next purchase. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your hard work and contribution to Smokies fishing and this message board.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler