Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks to all you guys (and gal) for the kind comments. Now if there was just some way I had the financial wherewithal to employ the lot of you as my public relations team! Seriously, it is gratifying to have such a positive initial reaction. As you get into it in depth, you will find some pretty staunchly held opinions on equipment and techniques, not to mention in the chapter on "A Peek into the Crystal Ball." After all, I wouldn't be a true son of the Smokies if I I wasn't strong-minded, hard-headed, and somewhat obstinate. That being said, I'll offer two thoughts. First, I feel very comfortable with the depth of historical research. And second, getting to what is probably the single most important element of the book, I think you will find far more "where to" details than in any other printed material. If not, I have spent a wasted (and wonderful) lifetime accumulating such information.
Again, thanks, and as someone who has written a whole host of books, positive things are most gratifying, especially since this book means more to me than anything I've ever done. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 PM

When I called home (Davidson) yesterday, my wife told me my copy came in. Unfortunately I was in Bryson City fishing. Probably won't find too much sympathy from y'all.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Hot dog! I was just interrupted by a knock on the front door. It was the mailman delivering my copy of Fly Fishing in the Smoky Mountains National Park from LRO. Looks great. The bifocals will get a work out today.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM

Old Tom--As someone who grew up in Bryson City, which is where the beginning foundations for this book were laid many decades ago, let me assure you that being bookless there on a stream far transcends any armchair adventure I can offer to you back at your home in Davidson.
Where are you fishing? Deep Creek, Noland, Nantahala, Luftee, or somewhere else nearby?
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Jim - I was doing a little recon work on a couple of streams that I've passed many times and thought or said, "Wonder if there's anything in there?"

I fished White Oak, above the falls where it emptys into the Upper Nan. As I expected, because of the falls, I found a few specs. Not many, but decent size. But the stream was real silty. Just above where Winding Stairs meets Wayah Rd. there was a big open area with lots of big rocks and some earthmoving equipment. I suspect that to be the problem. I probably won't give it another try.

Then I went down to Ledbetter Creek. I fished from where a nice new bridge crosses the creek up to where it got too steep for a 62 year old to be fishing alone. What was ahead of me was 50 to 100 yds of house sized rock. I missed a few smallish fish - my guess would be small bows. I'll go back again, staying on the trail until I get above that big boulder run.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM

Old Tom very interesting post on specs in Whiteoak Creek. I know the elevation there is around 2,000-2,300 feet. Seems like to warm of water for specs. It never sees much sun. I think the pipeline from the lake empties into Whiteoak around there. Maybe that is why the water is cold enough.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Old Tom--You were wise not to try to go any farther up Ledbetter Creek than you did. A couple of years back I decided I'd push on above the nice pool at the lower end of the cataracts. I made it through a series of boulders as it got worse and worse, then decided it was too dangerous and I'd just climb up the ridge and walk back down to the road. Guess what? It was about like trying to climb out of the gorge on Raven Fork. I ended up returning the way I came, a fair amount of it on my butt.
As for the fish in Ledbetter Creek, yes, they are rainbows (or at least that's all I've ever caught there). Jim Casada
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Had my copy for a few days now, excellent read. I love all the historical background for the different parts of the park. Just now getting into the stream data, but by far it is more in depth than any other book I own on the subject ( and I have several ).
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM

I got mine Saturday morning at LRO. They said the books have been flying off the shelves. Thanks Jim I have really enjoyed the book so far!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 AM

Old Tom--I should have noted, in my previous mention of the Ledbetter Creek cascades, that your plan to access the stream higher up from the Bartram Trail won't be as easy as you might think. The trail climbs away from the creek once it crosses on the new foot bridge. There is access to the stream higher up. There's a road off the highway between Topton and Robbinsville which leads into the upper draingage and a fairly large settlement. There are all sorts of gated-off Forest Service roads there, and I'm sure careful study of North Carolina County Maps or North Carolina Atlas & Gazeteer would give some guidance. I've driven around in the area but never attempt to access the stream. Jim Casada