Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Default Big Bow

Hugh, checking out your site, and man what a nice bow you took. Hope you will post a pic on the forum. From the looks of that rod grip it looks like you may have caught him on a new rod. Nice very nice.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Thank you Silvercreek

Silvercreek, thank you very much for the nice compliment on the fish. There have been some short windows of opportunity to fish the Holston River in the last week or so and I took advantage of the time, and "as you mentioned", I wanted to try out a new rod. I upgraded a St.Croix Legend Ultra that I broke, to a new St.Croix Legend Elite. I will have to say that it has performed flawlessly. I paired it up with a Bauer Reel that I had bought from LROs a few years ago. It is a great match. This fish was just one of many that have gone over 20inches this season. I have several friends that have hooked fish about this size or better and some of them have looked to be in the 30inch range. If the fish in the Holston River survive this year we are going to have trout that will rival the size that we used to see in the Little Tennessee River many years ago.
I placed the picture of the fish on my opening page and I know it needs some editing to fit correctly so anyone who looks at it please give me until tomorrow to make it look a little more professional.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/

Hugh
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 PM

yep, that's a pretty bow!!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Hugh,

That is a beautiful rainbow and not uncommon as you state for the Holston, looks to be 19" or 20", congrats. However, please be realistic when stating fish size. 30" fish in the Holston, rainbow or brown? Myself and a couple of other holston fishers had the chance to ride the shocking boat this year on the Holston and rest assured we turned ZERO fish over 24", and only one was over 21". They are great fish no doubt, but the potential for a monster does not exist there as it does on the Clinch or South Holston.

I am not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know there are alot of people that will read this and laugh, in the end it affects your credibility. If you care.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Default My credibility!!!

Waterwolf,
The only people who might be laughing are the ones who have hooked or caught fish that are in the size range that I mentioned. They are laughing at you, the person who is supposed to be God's gift to the flyfishing world. The fish that I linked to measured 23inches long. There are 2 other fish on my website that measured 24inches long that were caught out of that river. There is another that measured 26 inches long that was caught last year. I can give you the names of people who hooked and fought fish that were in the size range that I mentioned. I've never said that any one landed them but they sure have hooked and played some in that size range. I'm sorry that your abilities are not good enough to hook any that size and if your shocking team has not seen any of them--too bad. If you have the right amount of money, I'll take you on a guided trip and show you how to fish properly.
When you learn to to have the proper respect for other people, maybe you'll have some credibility.
Hugh
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Hugh

Mr. Waterwolf, I do not know you so I can just assume you believe what you say is true so for that I give you the benefit of doubt. As for Hugh if he said those monsters exist my money is on him, because I have experienced his ability to teach and guide. I hope someday you catch a monster and be man enough to say Hugh told you so.
I do not post often but I read most of them and you obviously know something of the sport and local waters, but it is possible someone else may know a bit too. Please do not take this as an attack but as support to the creditability of a good man.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM

Uhh. I will jump in as well. Nice fish. Looks to be at most 19, but not 20, but a nice fish. Even in the hayday of the Clinch I don't know of any 30 inch bows being caught. Can the Holston produce that? Maybe, but I will have to remain a Doubting Thomas unless you can show me a picture with a ruler beside it, and then I will say sorry and eat my words as well.

BTW. Rough measurement on my computer and comparison of the width of your fingers to the fish, just to add up to a 23' rainbow. Sorry. I have to go with Wolf on this one.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM

I will take the credibility of Mr. Hartsell over Waterwolf anyday. Seems to me that every time I read a post by you wolf, you are starting up some kind of trouble. God forbid anybody should know anything more than the almighty Waterwolf. Doesnt seem that you need to "try" to be a jerk, just comes natural. What a disrespectful ***!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Frick and Frack strike again
Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM

I've done a little electro-shocking myself and I can tell you; it does not turn up every fish. The rare 30incher would be fairly elusive because they are rare and because they are intelligent and fast as ****. I have taken pictures of 14 inch fish that look like 10 inch fish when I upload the picture. It happens. Besides, a few extra inches is what we call "fishermans discretion." Mr. Hartsell has been around for a long time. If he says it's a big un, I believe him.
Closed Thread