Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Road Prong - Brookie Haven

I made my second trip to Road Prong in August and have found this stream to be a true "Brookie Haven" (Fished from the Chimneys trailhead to an area above the 3rd Road Prong trail bridge). I did not fair as well as my first trip earlier this month since the Sat. 8/22 rain stirred up the water a bit but still managed to catch 2 Bows and 14 brookies in about 4 hours of climbing over rocks and waterfalls (yellow "never sink caddis with a bead-head pheasant tail dropper). I believe the 10+ Bow that I caught above the second Road Prong trail bridge was the same one I caught two weeks ago (same pool location). I also managed to wrestle a 9+ Brookie in the same vicinity. Can't wait to try this stream again in the fall! Forester from Crossville.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Kevin,

Try starting at the fourth bridge next time.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM

Smile Just got back from Road Prong

I agree with your sediment. We'll both probably get blasted for naming locations, but so be it.

I fished from the 4th to 5th bridge 2 weeks ago and did very well. No Rainbows, but several fat Brookies over 8 inches. It was nice to see this beautiful area that is the fringe of kayaking. They call that waterfall created by the huge old growth trees Peg Leg Falls. Skyline falls is much bigger in person than pics. And the drop above Skyline they call Fender Bender (right above 5th bridge).I meant to make a post as I took pics, but life has been very busy.

Today I fished from 3rd to 4th bridge. Caught a nice 10 inch Rainbow, a nice 9 inch Brookie, and a nice 8 incher. Lost count but caught 30+ fish in 4 hours. I will make a post when I download pics (with the tape measurer for the sceptics). It was a personal record setting day for me with the 10 inch Rainbow(although I hooked but lost a 12-16 inch Rainbow in the Raven Fork Gorge a few weeks back) and the 9 inch Brookie were both the biggest fish I have landed in the Park, and 30+ is the most I have ever caught. Great day great place!

Got to love those Brookies, I love the fact that they give you second, third, and even fourth chances to catch them makes it even more fun.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Love the mountains

Your post makes me miss the mountains even more. Can't wait to get back up there, even thought I have been doing really well with the redfish in Beaufort. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Where is the road prong?
I'm still new to the Smokies creeks and haven't learned all the names.
I'm heading towards Tellico/Bald/North river areas tomorrow to fish some of the smaller creeks.
I just like getting out there,and wish I didn't live as far away as I do....well it's only a few hours.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Smile Road Prong is on Hwy 441 at Chimney Tops Trailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelsoul View Post
Where is the road prong?
I'm still new to the Smokies creeks and haven't learned all the names.
I'm heading towards Tellico/Bald/North river areas tomorrow to fish some of the smaller creeks.
I just like getting out there,and wish I didn't live as far away as I do....well it's only a few hours.

A must visit for sure. Would be a good time even if you didn't catch any fish as the scenery is stunning. I saw the post last night about Jim Casada's new book. If you go on his website and click on new book samples there is his whole write up on Road Prong. I'm glad someone finally written a more detailed guide and can't wait to get my copy.

I will make a post about my trip later today.

Good luck at the Tellico
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks,
I have to admit the stunning scenery is the biggest part about going fishing in the mountains,or doing anything there...I love the area and have since my grandparents first took me there in 1966 I think it was.
being able to catch a fish and get my feet wet is just an added bonus.
I'll check Jim's website and I'm definitely going to get his book.
Rick
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Ducky,
I haven't seen anything else on road prong, I was hoping you would tell a little more on your trip up there. I'm going to try to go up there this coming Saturday afternoon maybe if weather holds. Did you catch more on the droppers or the dries?