Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Bear on Abrams Off Topic

I have to warn you all on Abrams. Got to the trail head at 7:30 am. No one else in sight. I noticed the bear warning signs and it always make me feel a little more alert when I see those. I didn't make it more than a quarter mile in at the most when I literally ran in to a big black bear. It was unbelievable freaky. It was apparently trying to climb a tree as I didn't see it behind the tree trunk. We literally stared at each other for about ten second or so. I managed to keep my cool and began growling as loud as I could while I poked my wading stick in the ground. The bear took off about fifty yards up the hill but here's where it got scary. The bear stopped turned around and just stood there staring at me. I have encountered numerous bears over the years in the park but this one made me feel uneasy. I suspect it is somewhat used to people along that trail. I began yelling again and hitting my stick in the ground while slowly backing up. It finally went further up the hill and I went back to the trail head. I waited for another gentleman to show up. I needed someone to walk with me if I was going to get to my fishing spot.

I have never been this close to a black bear, it was no more than 6 ft at the most. guess who will be having nightmares tonight! LOL.

Then when I was driving out of the cove here comes another bear. This one even bigger, but at least now I was in my vehicle. The park is loaded with bears right now, as well as deer wading the creek, Great Blue Herons and a pair of otters. Wildlife is on the move folks. Turkeys at the trail head won't even move out of the way for the people. It made for an interesting day to say the least.

As for the fishing check out my blog.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM

At least you scared it. Sounds like you had a great time otherwise. I will be in the area on Labor Day weekend if you or anyone else gets board and needs a fishing/hiking partner.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Hey Bo Bo!! He just wanted to see what was in you're picnic basket!! To me, black bears are worse than grizzlies. I've heard of black bears actually stalking people. I was up at Cades Cove/Abrams on Thursday, saw a lot of deer and turkey, but fortunately the black bears eluded me.

The Park service has done a pretty good job at preventing further black bear problems. The locking dumpsters are excellent. They definately keep the bears out. It took me a minute to open and close those things.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Hans, I have to ask since you were so close to that bear... did you happen to notice if it smelled badly? I have often heard that bears are very stinky. Saturday some friends and I fished Ramsay Prong, and on the way out we noticed a very pungent odor that smelled basically like road kill. We were a good distance up the trail to Ramsay Cascades, and we didn't see any dead creatures laying around. We were speculating if it could have been a bear down wind.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 AM

We've been around the Cades Cove Loop a bunch of times this year and have not seen any of the bears! Everyone keeps telling us that sightings are more numerous this year, but not for us.

Off topic: Last night we heard and saw something very, very rare. We were at the cable mill visitor center and heard QUAIL calling each other. Then we actually saw a covey of about 20 birds rise from under a tree and scatter. Don't know what busted them up, maybe a snake. Then they all started calling again. It was really neat and much better than seeing a bear. Of course no one around us appreciated the significance of it all. The only people paying any attention to it were old men. I had my dog with me and almost let him "accidently" get away from me to see if he would go over there and point them. But I figured the rangers would throw us under the jail for that one.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Bears do smell...especially in the summer months when the temps are up...the smell is like BO but on a nuclear scale....
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Hans, you get the John Wayne award for standing your ground eye to eye with that bear. A couple of years ago a bear growled at me, showed his teeth, snorted, and slapped the ground. Thank goodness I had a brochure
about bear encounters in the park.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Bears do smell...especially in the summer months when the temps are up...the smell is like BO but on a nuclear scale....
That's what my buddy said he had heard about them. I thought perhaps they might wallow on a carcass like dogs do and pick up some of that eau du roadkill.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
We've been around the Cades Cove Loop a bunch of times this year and have not seen any of the bears! Everyone keeps telling us that sightings are more numerous this year, but not for us.

Off topic: Last night we heard and saw something very, very rare. We were at the cable mill visitor center and heard QUAIL calling each other. Then we actually saw a covey of about 20 birds rise from under a tree and scatter. Don't know what busted them up, maybe a snake. Then they all started calling again. It was really neat and much better than seeing a bear. Of course no one around us appreciated the significance of it all. The only people paying any attention to it were old men. I had my dog with me and almost let him "accidently" get away from me to see if he would go over there and point them. But I figured the rangers would throw us under the jail for that one.
Russ, that is very cool. We used to have tons of quail and whipperwills on my parents' farm up on the Clinch when I was a kid, but it has been years and years since we've seen any. I have no idea what drove them out, but they are long gone up around Norris, at least near my folks.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Russ, that is very cool. We used to have tons of quail and whipperwills on my parents' farm up on the Clinch when I was a kid, but it has been years and years since we've seen any. I have no idea what drove them out, but they are long gone up around Norris, at least near my folks.
My grandpa could sit on his back porch and call in a quail by whistleing to them...I've seen him do it many times,I tried but didn't have the patience he did.
Now there no quail around here,because of coyotes I've been told.
I miss them.