Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM

"My grandpa could sit on his back porch and call in a quail by whistleing to them...I've seen him do it many times,I tried but didn't have the patience he did.
Now there no quail around here,because of coyotes I've been told.
I miss them."

There are several reasons quail are no longer around. House cats, foxes and the development of almost every inch of land are just a few. Listening to the call of quail and dove are to things I love to do.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I have no idea what drove them out, but they are long gone up around Norris, at least near my folks.
I'd say 1 of 2 things...either those 2 vicious ferretts, or that dog-bear-pig named prince.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM

We have a few on the property of the Hermitage, the home of Andrew Jackson. I heard them this spring, but I haven't heard them since. My neighbor whistles to them and they will answer. Hope they are still around.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM

It is not that of smell...my lab will find anything dead within a mile of the house and roll in it until you can't get within 10 feet of her....it is just good old fashion body odor...I read an article in one of my grandfather's Outdoor Life magazine about hunts for gorillas and one of the points was that their body odor would give away their location...I believe it is their sweat under all that fur that just ripens in the heat...I remember when you could drive up to the FCP fork we would get there before first light and start up the trail for a head start....had just forded the LR and gotten back on the trail when that smell hit us....first and only time that was tried.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Default Bear BO

Last trip up I noticed an odor at our rental cabin that smelled very similar to a skunk, not as strong but very musky. As i stood outside the odor got a bit stronger, then after a few minutes it went away. I figured it must have been a bear and had already been told there was one in the area that liked to rob trash cans.

On a trip or two before that one I noticed a similar smell while fishing around Treemont, and afterward heard some hikers talk about having seen a bear back up the trail they had just come down.

Mike

PS: You don't suppose the bear that Hans saw was forming a gang of sorts with those wiley little otters do ya :O)
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM

I have smelled bears before I saw them on two different occasions.

The first was just off the Rainbow Falls trail near Le Conte. Mid summer, my wife and I decided to take the side trail, mentioned in the little brown book that reconnects to R.F. Thick vegetation, could hear at least one blowing at us but never got a visual. Yes, it was definitely a bear.

The second was on the Russell Field trail.

I have also run across several hikers on the park’s trails who must relish in the rolling in of dead carcasses.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-24-2009, 03:25 PM

Bears have a musk smell. To me, it's more like a cross between skunk and roadkill.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I'd say 1 of 2 things...either those 2 vicious ferretts, or that dog-bear-pig named prince.
ROTFLMAO! Yes, you are probably correct.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Carlito,

Actually, I didn't smell it at the time but got a whiff from the bear later on. I say it was lurking around in the bushes all day. The smell was kind of like what people describe on here. Skunky road kill kind.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM

There are way more than just one or two reasons for the demise of the Bobwhite Quail, but the best biologists still differ opinions of what or why. I started posting on Pointingdog journal.com about 3 years ago about my own study. It's been interesting and far too involved to go into right now but I sowed plots of native and warm season grasses on our farm and managed our land specifically for Quail since 2006. I released 300 6 week old chicks in 2007. Right now I have about 4 good coveys on 165 acres and in the Spring I could listen in the evening and count 7 or 8 males calling from any point on the farm.
It's been an adventure, an investment, and a reward all together. I've enjoyed it and I'm hopeful that my German Shorthair may have some birds to point this Fall.