Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM

My folks (from Kentucky) called wilt not kilt. Mom used regular lettuce, with the bacon bits, bacon grease and a little chopped up green onion mixed in. Good summer fare.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Swampus--You are certainly right about this delicacy. I've never heard the term branch greens before but rather branch lettuce or bear lettuce. The plan is actually saxifrage, I believe. One thing I wonder about, and I'm not sure on this. Is it legal to harvest and eat such delicacies in the Park. I know that historically folks have gathered branch lettuce, ramps, and the like in the Park to eat, but there's also the "no pick" rule about flowers, etc. I'm almost positive it's all right to pick blackberries, huckleberries, wild strawberries, and the like, but in this case I wonder. Someone will probably know.
Incidentally, my favorite way to eat branch lettuce and ramps is "kilt" with a dressing of hot bits of crumbled bacon and some of the bacon grease poured straight from the frying pan onto the salad. Jim Casada
Making me hungry. I have had "kilt" lettuce and onions before, but I can only imagine how good bear lettuce and ramps would be. I need to try that sometime.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Jim

I live about a mile back of said cabin and 300 ft higher.Branch Greens all around.Chem,don't forget the POKE salad.Be careful,tho.Can't eat but only a certain part-don't know which.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM

I just received my copy of the new book. Can not wait for the read. Thanks Paula for the fast shipping.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPUS View Post
I live about a mile back of said cabin and 300 ft higher.Branch Greens all around.Chem,don't forget the POKE salad.Be careful,tho.Can't eat but only a certain part-don't know which.
Poke sallet (all right, if you are a flatlander I'll accept salad) is best when the tender shoots are cut early in the spring. The roots are toxic and the new growth really should be brought to a boil three times with the water being poured off and replaced the first two times. Topped with boiled eggs and some bacon crumbles, it's a spring dish fit for a mountain king. It's also a pretty darn good purgative and old mountain folks fancied it not only as a newly arrived green but to "clean them out" after a long winter of fare which featured too much in the way of carbohydrates and too little in the way of fresh stuff (cabbage and turnips were about it) for several months.
I'm a real fanatic about mountain food folklore and have, over the years, written quite a bit on the subject. I was blessed to grow up eating mountain vittles, and my wife and I have written a bunch of cookbooks focusing on foods from nature. She's also a heckuva cook, as one glance at my portly profile makes abundantly manifest. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Celina Tennessee has, or used to have, a polk sallet festival in the spring. I used to pass a big sign advertising it on my way to Dale Hollow.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Gran's poke sallet

My granny's poke sallet dish and what was handed down to her from many generations is to boil it like Jim Casada said and then heat up some bacon grease,just enough...not too much, in a iron skillet, put the poke sallet in there and scramble a couple of eggs in it,when the eggs are cooked it is ready.
Even a mediocre cook like me can make an acceptible poke sallet when your heart is in it,'cause it's the best wild greens out there in my opinion.
and I always think of the generations before me who enjoyed it enough to pass on the information.