Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Default Productive Patterns for Redfish in Beaufort, SC

Here are pictures of my most productive redfish patterns. I am not putting them in any kind of order.

This is my go to spoon fly pattern. There is just something about a dark spoon fly that makes this a consistant producer. I actually found the green material you see in the tail in a local fly shop and bought it just for this pattern.

This is my next favorite spoonfly pattern. Sometimes the pinks and oranges are just on.

This next series of pictures is a modified merkin type pattern. I had found that the regular merkin pattern was a little too wind resistant to use alot of the time (hard to cast in the wind), and it usually didn't come with a weedguard. Anyway I made this one to be a little less bulky, but with a weedguard. I have to give my friend Brian credit for suggesting the blue....I told him that one of the reasons I thought this pattern was working so well was all of the blue crabs that I was seeing. He tied up a merkin pattern with the blue in it, and I thought it would be a great touch on my fly.

This last fly is one that I saw/read about in a saltwater magazine. The materials are different, and I added some things that I liked, including the weedguard. The materials are only different because I used what I had on hand, not because the original wasn't good. Any way this one, and one tied a size smaller with bead chain eyes has produced when nothing else seemed to. In particular a saltwater pond that gets alot of fishing pressure. I actually made my first flies in this pattern with white dear hair tails, but ended up going with some ep fibers in later flies. I colored the tails with a red and black sharpie.

Last edited by JohnH0802; 08-25-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Shrimp and Crab, yea dem redfish know how to eat! All you need now is a cold beer and some hushpuppies!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up

I like the shrimp and spoon flies, nice work. What did you make the weed guard out of?

Last edited by flyman; 08-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Now I have to get to the seafood restaurant, all this talk of crabs,shrimp, and hushpuppies! YUM!
Really like those flies too!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Hey flyman, I am not sure what John uses for weed guard, but i use Mason hard nylon, it works great for weed guards on salt patterns and poppers etc. Check it out good stuff

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Weed Guard

I have just been using heavy mono (50 or 60 lb test). It has worked great. I did experiment making a wire weed guard on one of my spoonflies, and it worked great, but it is already starting to wear out (fatigue from bending).
John