Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Default hatches and redear

this summer I've noticed a hatch that comes off right after sunset. I was first told about this in July, when a friend of mine said the redear start biting good for only 15 minutes at dark. I thought it sound neat, so I joined him one night at a very familiar place. Boy was I surprised to see huge green mayflies everywhere. They'd be, I guess, size 10 or so. What would they be? I'm in soutern IN and don't remember reading anything like this in TN....and oh yeah, I did hook up some nice redear in that little window of time.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Hi jross,

My guess is it's a willow fly. I don't know where you are fishing and don't know the latin name for the bug but I think that's what most of us would call it around here.

Byron
Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 AM

thanks!
I'll have to do a little more research. I don't remember seeing any flies like that for trout when I'm looking around.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 AM

I live just south of Memphis, TN in N. Mississippi and we had a similar hatch on a neighborhood pond this summer. Hatch may not be the right term, but in May and July we would have large yellow mayflies come out of the trees and lay eggs on the water. The bass went nuts. I tied a stealth bomber on a size 10 popper hook and they killed it. I would cast it out and make a big splash and let it sit there. They would not hit if if you popped it, just a little wiggle was all it took. The fishing only lasted 20 mins or so, but one night I caught 25 bass standing in the same spot in those 20 minutes. It was crazy!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM

exactly what I saw up here!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM

It really spolied us, towards the end of the hatch we got really disappointed when we only caught 10 fish in 15 mins!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM

What we called a willow fly in West Tennessee was a large cream colored mayfly. I could certainly be wrong (I often am...) but I thought they were Potomanthus.

sb