Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Backcountry Site w/ Brookie Fishing

Going camping with a buddy Friday night in the mountains. We'll be heading in the park through townsend. I was wondering if there were any relatively close backcountry sites that are close to brookie streams so I could get some fishing in friday evening and saturday morning. I know deep creek runs by site 53. This would be great but from the research I've done on the forum this is about an hour and a half from Maryville and we won't be able to leave until around 4 Friday plus I believe its around a 3 mile hike to the site. So if anyone knows of any closer sites with brookie fishing I love any information you have. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM

It seems to me that most of the backcountry sites within brookie striking range are on the NC side. Maybe you could try #19 which is kinda close to Meigs Creek although still a good walk back to it and I saw a thread on here about brookies in there but I have never fished it. Looks like a relatively short hike to that one. We are supposed to get rain here tomorrow and most of the night till Saturday too so be prepared to get wet possibly if that forecast holds up.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Campsite 24 above Elkmont is pretty accessible from Maryville. The hike in is about 4.5 miles, but it is mostly flat and you can really haul up the trail quickly. I've caught brookies fishing above there, but it isn't what I would consider a hot spot for them, and I haven't fished there in over 1 yr so take that with a grain of salt...

Campsite 53 is real close to some very prime brookie water, and the hike in from Newfound Gap area is downhill and very easy. The hike out is a whole other story, but upstream from 53 on Deep Creek is chock full of brookies. You might not get in a lot of fishing on Friday, but you could really wear them out on Saturday morning.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Bum hoping for trout--Although it is a stretch to call it a backcountry campsite, Round Bottom on Straight Fork is certainly close to speckled trout water. You can drive right to it and from where the bridge crosses the stream a ways up and the road leaves the creek, it's primarily speck water. No trail, mind you.
It's a full four miles to Poke Patch on Deep Creek, and the "going in" hike is easy enough. However, coming back out to the trailhead on 441 is another story entirely. One thing for sure--upstream from Poke Patch you are in speck water, and the farther up the better (and that includes Sahlee and Rocky Creeks feeding the Right Fork). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Campsite #23 should put you into brookies...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Campsite #23 should put you into brookies...
I've caught them up there too. FYI, #23 is a bit longer/difficult hike (not ridiculously more but it is a bit harder). Also, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but my recollection is that there are not a ton of brookies near 23 and 24... they are in there, but I've never been fishing there and caught one after another.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM

I wonder about Goshen Prong on up farther above 23...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Goshen Prong would seem likely but the only natural barrier is the big waterfall upstream of where the trail comes back to the water...the right fork there seems to have more brookies in it...there are some big bows up both sides ..... best bet is 24...camp there after a relatively easy 4.2 mile hike and fish up toward 30...another 1.5 miles....this is what the locals used to refer as the Three Forks area of Little River....up the left hand fork there is a vertical waterfall above which is nothing but brookies....23 is too long a haul to do a one night camp...6.9 miles with an elevation change of 1000ft....if you had a couple of nights to spend there is some great water both above and below 23
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

with as much rain as is forecast the streams may get blown out
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

If you try to stay at Roundbottom without horses you will get a ticket.