Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Taking my 4-yr old son fishing for the first time

Want to take my son fishing soon. He's been begging to go with me lately and I think its time to introduce to him to fishing.

I want to take him to a trout farm or fishing rodeo or some other place where he can dunk some corn and be guranteed to catch a bunch of fish the first time I take him.

What is around the Knoxville area around like that?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 07:19 PM

The Alcoa duck pond is a good place for children to fish, but there are no trout.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
The Alcoa duck pond is a good place for children to fish, but there are no trout.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that it doesn't have to be trout...just some place where he and I can have fun together.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM

TWRA - Free Fishing Day Photos - Alcoa Duck Pond

Here are some photos of kids fishing at the Alcoa duck pond.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Default lenoir city park

if you know where the marina is above Ft Loudon Dam you go past it like you are going to calhouns. there is a small park just past the calhouns. stop at the shell station and buy crickets and the blue gill will jump in you hands....sometimes small bass
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Doesn't the Cross Eyed Cricket stock trout in their pond?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Doesn't the Cross Eyed Cricket stock trout in their pond?
I believe that place may have closed down, but, early on a saturday morning during stocking season, you would think the Tellico River was the next best thing.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM

Grannyknot--That's one of those times and places where you need to bring your own rock if you want one to stand on, but the worst I've seen is on N. C. delayed harvest streams on Armageddon Day (when it goes from catch-and-release, artificials only to anything goes). Talk about a zoo. Another reason I tend to be a misanthrope when it comes to fly fishing or, as my wife puts it on such matters: "When you die your tombstone will read 'Jim Casada hated people.'" Of course she's wrong on at least two points. I won't have a tombstone because ashes from cremation can help balance acidic streams, and I don't really hate people. It's just than when fishing is involved I like them in very small doses, with the ideal dose being a day when I see another angler when I return to my truck. To me, although I have a couple of cherished fishing buddies, fly fishing at its ultimate best is a one-many or one-woman game. Jim Casada
Old 09-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
To me, although I have a couple of cherished fishing buddies, fly fishing at its ultimate best is a one-many or one-woman game. Jim Casada
Isn't it ironic? For me, the experience of fishing alone is very rich, but something is lost without someone to share it with.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM

First of all,it's great to take your son out to fish!
At Tellico this past Sat. I saw a woman who had her granddaughter,(about 4 also), with her and the little kid had a rod and was very enthusiastic,she was really cute.
But like Jim said,you just about needed your own rock,and me being a natural born loner,I had to find a secluded small stream to get away.
I deal with the public everyday...I go hiking and fishing and camping to get away from them.
I've told my grown sons,who have other pursuits in life,that if I kick the bucket in the wilderness and they only find my bones...if they even find that,I died where I wanted to be.