Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Default Question about rods

Hello all! I am a warm water fly fisherman from Fort Lauderdale. Mostly saltwater for me, but fish for peacocks and largemouths at a lake next to my work for about 20 to 30 minutes a day before work. Anyway I have a trip up your guys way on october 10-17. Staying 4 days on Alarka creek in Bryson NC, and 3 days on the little river right by LRO. I only have a 7wt and an 8wt rod so I will be buying a new setup before I go. I was looking at a 5wt, so I could still use it back home, but am afraid it will be too heavy for the streams. What do you guys think.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:08 PM

I have a 5wt and have no problem with it in the smokies even caught a few fish here and there. The reason I settled on a 5wt initially is so I could mountain fish and still have versatility enough to fish on bigger rivers like the clinch. I have since bought a 4wt but used the 5wt this weekend still.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Man I fish my 4 weight on tailwaters and love it in the smokies? On the tailwaters i justmake a point in playing the fish quickly and not wearing em out, but the 5 is just a bit much for the park IMO? That said if you wanna use it for ponds then the 5 might be good, course bream on the 4 are fun? **** get both!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM

downtownfish--You have raised a subject which can start an argument most any time. I personally think a 5-weight is just fine and I've used one a great deal over the years in the Park. On those rare occasions when you hook a really good fish the additional backbone is welcome, and the same holds true in the relatively rare situations where you need longer casts (mostly on the larger Park streams like Little River and lower Luftee) or the situation demands a sold roll cast. There's another argument for a higher weight rod as opposed to the 0s, 1s, 2s, and 3s, and that is, if you are going to release fish, you can bring them to hand quicker and avoid stressing them as much. A 1-weight with a 12-inch fish can almost kill it, especially in situations where water temperatures are on the high side.
In the final analysis, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference. I'm a bit of what some consider a heretic when it comes to rods, although that's more in terms of my thoughts on length than on weights. As you'll see in the chapter on rods in my new book, I have a strong preference for long (9 foot or longer) rods even in tight quarters. Longer reach, longer roll casts, easier to mend, longer bow-and-arrow casts, easier to use dappling or dancing a fly, etc. Now, I'm sure that will draw a howl of protest from advocates of fairy wand 0-weights six feet in length, but such variance in preferences is part of what makes this sport a delight. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM

A 4wt is preferable, but a 5 will work just fine. I'm a howler. I like the shorter rods around 7ft in the mountains. I've read most of Jim's book and it is great. He has a ton of wisdom in it, and I suggest you get a copy before your trip. For the life of me though I just do not see how such an intelligent person can be so wrong about rod lengths in the mountains. Just joking. Long and short rods have there advantages. It's more about the caster than the rod. Have a good trip.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Definitely go with the 5 weight...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM

I got tired of catching rhododendron, and switched to a short rod in the park.
Then I quickly realized a short fly rod does not react like a long fly rod. Use your short fly rod for a tomato stake.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Default reply

if you fancy catching a good fish,i mean a wild trout 15+inches long.take a 4 or 5 wt rod,8+feet long,3x or 4x leader,spray the bears and don't step on any snakes
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Anything less than 9 feet, IMO is a waste of money! gotta have that reach, without a doubt! And to Mr Casada "0 weight fairy wands!" That may be the funniest thing I have read in a while sir! Thank you.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Size doesn't matter right? I fish a 7'9" 3 wt in the park almost exclusively. Then again, the average size of the fish that I am pulling out are about 6 inches. I have yet to catch anything over about 9 inches but haven't been plunking streamers after heavy rains either. I find the shorter rod easier to handle under cover and haven't found many places on Middle, Road, or West prong that I can't reach with it. I fish either a 5x or 6x tippet and haven't broke a fish off yet. I can bring most of the fish to hand in a under 30 seconds. All depends on where, what, and how you like to fish I suppose.