Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
Have they got you totally confused ??
I am so confused right now you have no idea. I thought Bryson city and Alrka creek are at the very northern most part of the Nantahala forest. I am buying a book tomorrow. I thought this was going to be easy. ha
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 AM

downtownfish--The Nantahala National Forest is a sprawling half million acres ranging over portions of many counties, and if you thought the portions lying in Swain County were the northernmost you do need to take a peek at a map. The headwaters of Alarka Creek are in it, as are portions of many other area streams. Also, I should have said more when you questioned about fishing in the river. There are actually three rivers in the immediate area--Tuckasegee, Little Tennessee, and Nantahala. The latter, as a tailwater in its lower reaches, has fine trout fishing as well as a non-stop canoe and kayak hatch during the day. The other two are warm water streams and Alarka Creek empties into Fontana Lake rather than a river. Your post seemed to hint that you thought it entered a river. You will be just a few miles from all three rivers and, if you are staying on lower Alarka, quite close to Fontana Lake. Jim Casada
Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Don't sweat it, Downtown. You're doing all the research you need right here. Be sure to go by Little River Outfitters and say hi to some of the nicest folks around!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 AM

OK. When I refer to the little river in my post I am NOT talking about the little tennessee river, but the little river on the tennessee side of the park. The one that flows through the park past tremont campground and through townsend. I fell like you guys think I am speaking of the little tennessee river not the little river on the tennessee side. Am I right or did you guys know what I meant. I think this because everywhere I read says I can catch trout. Sorry to be so ignorent but I am not familiar with the area what so ever.

Also looking at the map again it still seems to me that bryson is on the north end of Nantahala national forest. When I look at the map I see smokey mountain park north of bryson, Pisgah forest to the east. Then above SMNP I see Cherokee national forest, then jefferson national forest and so on. Where am I going wrong here. I am looking at google maps if that helps any.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownfish View Post
OK. When I refer to the little river in my post I am NOT talking about the little tennessee river, but the little river on the tennessee side of the park. The one that flows through the park past tremont campground and through townsend.
If you're staying on Alarka, why would you drive all the way over to the Little River? It has it's own unique appeal and all, but you'll spend a good portion of your day in the car driving pass plenty of other great trout streams just to get there. Getting to some of the excellent trout streams in the park that Mr. Casada won't really take you much longer than driving all the way up to the end of Alarka. (Though if you want to experience some unique fishing, give Alarka a shot. Just be prepared to bow & arrow cast and be excited by fish that might go the length of your hand. Maybe.)
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM

I am staying in Alarka the first four nights of my trip. Then I am driving to the Tennessee side to stay 3 nights on the little river. Sorry I should have been more specific in my first post. So the second half I am staying on the little river IN Tennessee very close to the little river outfitters shop.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM

downtownfish--We've now reachd a point where you are about to get me confused. If you are staying on Alarka Creek, why in the world are you thinking about the Little River? On a good traffic day, with no bear jams and no elk jams, you've got the better part of two hours of driving (one way) to get to it. Meanwhile you've got all the streams I previously mentioned a whole lot closer (on the N. C. side of the Park).
As for the national forests, whatever you are looking at has you jumping all over the place. Jefferson NF is in Virginia! The Cherokee NF has two sections, north and south of the Tennessee side of the Park. The Nantahala NF embraces portions of a number of counties in southwestern NC (Graham, Clay, Macon, Swain, Cherokee, and Jackson) while the Pisgah is in the central and northern part of the mountains in N. C. I'll try to put it as simply as I can. If you are staying on Alarka focus your fishing efforts on one of these nearby Park streams--Deep Creek, Noland Creek, Oconaluftee River, Bradley Fork, Beech Flats Prong, or Straight Fork. You can drive to all of them. If you want to catch specs (they'll be small) go to the headwaters of Alarka, and expect tight, tight casting conditions. Or (shameless hype here) buy my book and get details on any and all Park streams. I've got it and LRO has it. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Ok it looks like from your first and last posts that you have some resevations locked in. Take Jims advice on his last post. Shameless or not, get his book! I ordered moine from LRO and got it the next day. This book will answer all your questions and comes with a neat fold out map showing pricipal places in the park. Have a good trip.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Jim maybe I slipped my last post in while you were typing your reply 4 days will be in Alarka in NC, then I am driving to the Tennessee side to stay in townsend.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM

downtownfish--Yep, posts probably crossed out there in the ether somewhere. You are set to see a bit of both sides of the Park and sample some great streams, though your problem will be so much water, so little time. Jim Casada