Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Middle Prong Sept 1, 2009

Decided today would be fishing day since I mowed the lawn yesterday and couldn't let another beautiful day go to waste like that. I think the mountains got some rain last night because there was some standing puddles of water in some of the pull outs and on the road. Fished towards the upper end of the Middle Prong and did pretty well. Most of the fish averaged about 6 inches. Caught about 14 in that range and missed 3 better fish. Managed to only lose 1 green weenie this time out. Fishing a yellow neversink caddis w/ a green weenie dropper. 2 on the never sink and everyone else was enjoying the inch worm delicacy.

A good day anyways. Water is a little lower than last week and has definitely made the fishing a little tougher.

Mike
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM

I fished West Prong this morning and was going to call you, but didn't figure you would want to go at 0700. I'm still guessing you didn't get up that early. I caught about the same on a neversink and a blackbird. I think I could have caught more if I had switched to a smaller dry (maybe a #20?). Had a ton of refusals on the dry, but I was catching fish and too lazy to change flies. It slowed down around 1000. Glad you had a good day. I almost went up to the second bridge. It would have been funny if I got there first.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM

I got out there around 8 after dropping the kids off. The fish in the pic came from the run under the 2nd bridge and I missed a second one. The 2 fish I caught on the dry actually hit after it had gotten pulled under by the current. I had a couple of refusals up top but most of my fish were coming from the deeper water. I followed a guy most of the way up the road and thought for sure he was going to stop and fish at any second and run me off this stretch. I thought about trying West or even Road but just couldn't convince myself to do it. Good to hear that the fishing is good elsewhere though.