Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Unusual tides

The tides here in Beaufort, SC continue to be higher than predicted, and it has made for many more wading opportunities. The tides this weekend look very favorable, and where I caught the fish last weekend has been having enough water in it in the morning (I drive by it on my way to work). I actually started fishing that spot because I thought I saw a redfish tailing about 200 yards from the road while I was driving home from work. Talked to Tuck (One of the guides at Bay Street Outfitters), and he had a trip that boated 40 redfish last weekend. I hope this tailing lasts through October.

I am still trying to get a few more fish stories prior to the start up of our Fly Fishing club (Sea Island Fly Fishers, http://www.flyfishingbeaufort.com/ ) meetings on the 9th of Sept (we meet monthly but suspend meetings over the summer). I will let you know how it goes this weekend.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 AM

Looking forward to those posts!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Tough fishing

The fishing this weekend was very tough. The water temperature had dropped significantly from last weekend, and the wind was up and blowing. I fished an hour or so each day this weekend, and couldn't get anything to eat my fly.

I saw fish each day, and had several opportunities, but had no takers. I fishing partner on Saturday broke two off on a Merkin crab pattern, while my friend Larry caught about a 20" fish on Sunday.

I thought for sure that Monday would break my 0 fish streak, but it was not so. The water was cool, came in really fast with the wind, and the fish lay down. I did not even see one fish tailing. I think that the tide with the wind was just moving too fast for tailing. I did see a few fish cruising, and what I can only describe as horsing aroudn (redfish chasing each other around).

The water is getting clearer with the drop in temperature, and the good news for you boaters out there is that they will be schooling on some of the low tide flats. September and October can be some of the best fishing....particularly for a boater.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Hey John, I am headed down to Charleston next weekend for what may be the last big rising tide action, I hope. A buddy of mine that is building me a rod is taking me to a secret spot or 2. I hope to get down your way in the next month or 2, When I do i will let you know and you are always welcome on my boat!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Barry, that would be great. The fishing ought to be good during that time frame. Hope you do well in Charleston next weekend. Please let me know how you do, and thank you for the offer, I plan on taking you up on it.