Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Are Knives allowed in the park?

I have a ka bar heavy bowie knife and am curious if I would be allowed to carry it backpacking/camping in the park?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Parzival--In a word, yes, and let's hope that things never come to a pass where the outdoorsman cannot use what many consider the ultimate tool. Of course they are banned in schools and public places, yet as a boy I felt half naked without one (and still do, for that matter), and mumbltypeg was a favorite playground game among boys in the middle grades. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Not sure about NC, but TN law is you can not carry a knife with a blade over 4 and a half inches, but I am sure, especially with the bear activity that we have had this year, that a ranger will not say anything about a man carrying a survival tool/ knife. most of the rangers in my area do a little fly fishing and camping in their free time and would be very understanding.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:02 PM

There is a clause in the TN code that references a defense to the charge of illegally possessing a weapon is that hte person was legally engaged in hunting, trapping an fishing. Hopefull the text will post.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/tn.txt
Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 PM

As another consideration, while in the Smokys, you are in a national park, that muddles the rules in my mind as to state and federal law.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Ok so no knives with a blade longer then 4 inches?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Well, I attempted to check it out at the National park site. Looked all through the code which after 29 pages said nothing about weapons. Then tried to check it out elsewhere under camground rules and only found that "weapons" were prohibited. Oh I did find you can collect all kinds of fruit and mushrooms up to one pound per person. Someone had speculated about that in an earlier post. I guess you'll have to call the park.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM

did they change it to where you can gather fruit, mushrooms, and such but can not bring it out of the park?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM

As with the bear spray thing sometimes we get too caught up in the details of the law instead of common sense. I have never heard of anyone getting stopped for a knife blade measurement in the smokies or fined for such. I have seen plenty of big knives over 4" hanging from belts and packs as well. I would say you would be fine with a machete or sword probably even in the campground as long as you aren't threatening someone with it the rangers could care less. Now if you do attack someone then they will probably throw the weapons charge in there against you along with all the other charges
Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM

You would think the rules and regulations would be a bit more clear on issues such as this. I would hope that they wouldn't want people guessing.