Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Tricks for dark drys and terrestrials?

The other day I was using a beetle fly and it even had some orange in it, but it was mostly black. And becasue of this I cannot focus on it if it is more than about four feet from me due to the color. Many times I will use a stirke indicator for this but I feel like I miss a lot of strikes this way. Was just wondering what you guys do and if you have any tips for seeing dark flies like this.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Mike, I have the same problem. My vision isn't great, and a lot of the flies that the fish like are impossible for me to see. What I do is fish a dry fly that I can see easily and then tie on the beetle/ant/whatever as a dropper. As long as you can see the bigger or brighter fly that you are fishing on top, you'll be looking in the right area to see a strike on your smaller, hard to see dropper.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM

I too have poor vision, and tend to choose flies for my benefit rather than the fish. I can see a parachute, and it doubles as my strike indicator.
As for fishing a dropper, I would just lose twice as many flies.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:39 PM

I stopped fishing dark beetle for the same reasons, but now - when I rarely do tie some up and fish - I like a larger beetle pattern, that I can hide a built in indicator - a bit of colored idicator or foam on top under the wrap that seperates the head and thorax...you can get by with bright colors ( I have pink) and trim the profile down so that I cant see it looking up from the bottom and isn't sticking up like a huge wing...I use the pink cause that's what I've got at the moment and it something that will stick out enough for me to notice, but as the leaves start changing you may get away with orange, yellow, etc...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM

MikeRob--Rivergal has got the trick for you, at least in my experience. With beetles (and ant patterns) fish a tandem dry fly rig with the other fly being something you can see. It is hard to beat a Parachute Adams for all around "bugginess" along with ready visibility. It's my favorite dry fly. Just watch the dry fly and if anything untoward happens set the hook.
One other thought on beetle patterns. Some of them, especially if fashioned with cork, don't leave enough "bite" between the fly's body and the hook point. That can result in misses which really aren't your fault at all. Jim Casada
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM

I have a real hard time focusing on even a parachute adams,I just lose sight of it when it's in moving water and there's other stuff floating.
I fished creeks using crawdads on the bottom all my life and never used any kind of visual float or whatever....you just go by feel when the fish took the bait.
Now I'm guess that going by feel could be a bad habit,except when fishing nymphs.
the flies on top are still a new thing to me but not too much unlike using popping bugs for other fish like bluegill,and bream.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM

MikeRob, everyone has trouble with this from time to time, especially when the light leaves the water and the stream turns to silver an black. Sometimes it helps to get as low as possible to see the fly. Other times you can position yourself to get the fly in a spot where the light enables you to see the fly. Other times you just have to calculate where your fly should be based on current flow and lift if there is any activity in the area where the floating fly should be.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM

The short comings of getting a few more years under our belts...when I first started fishing the fly of choice in the mountains was a Ginger Quill dry fly...then I had to move on to a Royal Coachman just for the white wings...then to a Royal Wulff....now just about all I fish are any king of parachute, EHC or stimulator....something my eye can fix upon....the only thing that I have found that helps lately has been cataract surgery...the only benefit to growing old that I have found so far...can see the flies better but it is an ordeal trying to get them tied on
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Try the magnifiers that clip to your hat bill and flip down when you need them. Also, try some easier knots. The Davy knot is easy to tie and the Orvis knot is not too bad compared to the improved clinch. I've been practicing tying both lately.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
The short comings of getting a few more years under our belts...when I first started fishing the fly of choice in the mountains was a Ginger Quill dry fly...then I had to move on to a Royal Coachman just for the white wings...then to a Royal Wulff....now just about all I fish are any king of parachute, EHC or stimulator....something my eye can fix upon....the only thing that I have found that helps lately has been cataract surgery...the only benefit to growing old that I have found so far...can see the flies better but it is an ordeal trying to get them tied on
Rog, do you know about the Ray Ball knot?