Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Finally getting my trip!

Coming out in the third week of October! Can't wait! Can anyone fill me in on some pointers about what type of water to look for in October? What about water temps? Fishing high or low elevations? Will be out for about a week with ALL THE EXTENDED FAMILY so perhaps an isolated spot is what I should look for? Thanks for any and all info! flyguys.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 AM

come one, give this feller some advice!!

Because I'm finally getting down there a week later. So I'll vicariously cyber scout off of his replies!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM

October is generally a dry season except for the rain brought in by the cold fronts that start dropping down...the water will be cooler so the lower elevations will be fishing better than in the warmer months....by this time the leaves will be turning and the peepers will be out in full force....with the leaves come trouble....you will be fighting for space on the water and they will cover the rocks and stream beds making wading harder than it usually is...if you are looking for some solitude I would hike up above Elkmont...usually enough water there and there are some big browns caught up there this time of year...check the fishing report for appropriate flies....I have still had some great days fishing dries like Stimulators, EHCs and Wulff patterns at this time...weather can be hit or miss depending on front movements.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info rog 1! Can't wait to get out there! We went above tremont about 2 years ago; really low water. Hopefully the water levels are back to normal? Maybe with some luck I'll be able to post a picture of my first smoky mountain trout! Wish us luck, flyguys.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM

flyguys,

Conventional wisdom is that you begin using orange patterns in the fall (Orange Palmers, Orange Stimulators). Any stream you would fish all summer is fair game for October. I still prefer the higher elevation streams off Highway 441 towards Newfound Gap but you can't go wrong with any of them.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM

I love Oct fishing,if the water is up due to a low pressure system dumping a ton of rain don't fret, I actually like fishing the best when the water has been hi and murky and starts receding and still has a stain to it it. that to me means BIG BROWNS. But you gotta understand whats goin on with em. First of all they got big by being really smart, that said they also got big cuz they eat most anything. So think big nasty nymphs. You got a few things on your side too, You know they are a ambush oriented animal like a largemouth, They get big by using less energy by waiting and hammering everything that comes there way. When the water is up they are almost always along the banks cuts so pound the banks. Gotta look for slow spots where the current isn't whippin they want to be able to hang out using little to no energy and they wait for stuff to helplessly wash their way. Plus on the falling water they are hungry, remember do to their vision they feed heavily at night so hit it early and late in the day.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Flyguys....Trust that you know that Tremont above the Cascades is now closed to fishing....if you are looking to catch your first trout in the Park there are several places you would have a good chance at achieving this goal....during the week you might want to try Anthony's Creek in the picnic area at Cades Cove....at Elkmont try Jakes Creek from where it enters the LR in the campground as high as you want to walk...Walker Camp Prong above the Chimneys Trailhead where the stream comes back to the road...or Porters Creek in Greenbrier...here park at the trailhead and walk back down toward the bridge to Ramsey Cascade....all of these places are easy to get to and don't require much casting distances....drop any kind of bushy fly into the pocket water and wait for the strike.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM

How far above Tremont are the cascades?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Actually above the metal footbridge at the turnaround on Middle Prong (between there and the Cascades) is also closed.

The turnaround is a couple of miles above the Tremont Institute. Just be sure you don't fish above there. There will be a sign suspended from a chain across the stream so it should be obvious where to stop.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM

This is the sign on the left side of the bridge above Tremont, you can't go to the left trail to fish but if you go to the right you can fish Thunderhead and on up to Sam's Creek.

Tad