Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM

thanks for the info, guys. as a matter of fact, we fished thunderhead last time, but no fish. oh well, maybe this time. All i knoow is my son and i really enjoy our time in the streams, and that is half of the reason for the trip. In case you are wondering, yes he is beating me in the catching game! flyguys
Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Thunderhead is one of the toughest places I've fished. Catches are few and far between. It's some of the best looking water but with sparse action. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Flyguys--You don't indicate where your base of operations will be. That can make quite a difference. I've looked at previous responses and they seem for the most part to assume you'll be in the Tremont area. Maybe I missed something aobut where you will be staying.
Whatever the case, I would recommend trying to spend much of the time on prime brown trout water--Little River, Middle Prong on Tenn. side, Luftee, Deep Creek, Forney on N. C. side. As Carolina Boy, I believe it was, says, this is big brown time. They are on the move, there's the chance of some sight fishing, and there's probably no better time of year to make a meaningful connection with a bruiser

If waters are low, look for trout, especially browns, just where the outflow from one pool drops into the next in stiller water. Similarly, look for fish "stacked up" in big, deep pools as they decide, seemingly almost like salmon, to rest a bit before continuing their spawning runs.

One other thought, specks have brilliant color at this time of year, and good places for them include Walker Camp Prong and Road Prong on the Tenn. side and upper Straight Fork or Kanati Fork on the N. C. (all these are readily accessible).

It's a beautiful time of year as a rule.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Thanks Jim, I should have said a little bit about where we will be staying. We will be staying in a cabin in Sterling Mountain resort, with all the family, all ten of us! My son and I are the only ones fishing. I'm not too familiar with the mileages, just the general directions around the area. I think we will be concentrating on the Tn. side of the park. Maybe fish in Tremont, Elkmont, Greenbriar areas? Maybe above the Metcalf bottom area? Any thoughts on any one of these areas over the others? Thanks for all the info! flyguys.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM

good luck flyguys...it's still aways off but when are you going to be there? I'll be down on 24th w/e. Maybe I'll see ya'll out on the water.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM

My son and I hope to fish Sam's Creek 10/17, when the Vols have an open date. Hopefully by then, that is of more significance than now .

Good look to all.

JF
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Well at least you will know they won't lose that weekend! Quarterback looks good though?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM

jross, my family and I willbe out oct. 14-18. hopefully have some good weather, and even better fishing Thanks again guys for all the info!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM

I'll miss you by one weekend....I'm hoping for good weather too.

for those in the know....What happens if it we get a cold snap while we're in the smokies? Nymph deeper and bundle up?

Oh btw flyguys, someone mention Anthony Creek. That little creek is so cool. I went there this spring break...Got outta the car at the picnic area and thought "is this a joke? where's the creek!" but just started fishing and had a ball! fish are in there. It might be a good place to go if some non-fishers wanna tag along and look at the cove or cheer you on from the sidelines...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM

Anthony's creek is the first place i ever caught a fish in the park, dangerous though after I got that lil guy I was completely addicted. So now near a decade later and a ton of fish all over the world with sore lips I can happily say I am more consumed with chasing fins with feathers than ever and it all started on that litlle creek, enjoy it!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"