Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Caney Fork spawning

I just got through reading Byron's 9/10/2009 fishing report in which he made refernce to reports of browns spawning in the Caney. I have heard about this. Just wondering what others have to say or have witnessed. From what I have heard the spawnig does not seem to be successful. Any views on this?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM

This is always brought up. It's highly controversial, there is no proof of right or wrong as far as spawning goes, only speculation.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM

I have seen this discussed a lot, and whether the spawn is successful or not, I honestly don't know. I believe for the most part it is not, and could be totally wrong. But I know that here recently the browns have been moving more and more into the shallows. I think they may just be going through the motions instinctively, but I really hope there would be a successful spawn. Then again, that's another bag of issues for fishing them on the redds. Its nice to think of other regions when it is prohibited during the spawn.

Mag
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM

It may be best if the fish do not spawn successfully, as then there is no excuse to limit fishing (decreased recreational potential, increased opportunity for poaching, and increased crowding in open areas) and the state will continue to stock fish avoiding the pitfalls of cyclical reproductive success (even silver creek has suffered from this.)

The state currently stocks 3-5 inch fish (size may vary) at least once or twice a year. This insures a pretty good supply of growers that will provide lots of recreation until they reach trophy size. (That is if the current proposed regs get approved this fall.)
Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 PM

I doubt thr browns are successful, even if they are recruitment from the fry has to be minimal; if the water is anything like the Cumberland. I can only think that the Caney and the Cumberland are very much alike due to latitude and geology.

That being said I have personally witnessed suceesful spawn and some recruitment of rainbows on the Cumberland. The same may hold true for caney bows. Since I have never fished it I don't know of the structure of the shoals I have read about here or if the Caney benefits from a creek like Hatchery creek on the Cumberland that offers protected spawning areas and structure for par to hide in.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM

I fished in a creek probably 25 years ago that dumps into the Caney Fork. I don't know the name of it. It meanders under the interstate to a place we knew at the time as "Buffalo Bills" at the exit to the State Park and dam. We caught quite a few rainbows with par marks. I believe they were wild fish. I think rainbows spawned in that creek. Browns could too. Maybe brookies will spawn there. I love fishing the Caney Fork. I have not fished it since I moved to Townsend 19 years ago.

Byron
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Interesting Byron. The river is totally different now from what I knew just a few years ago. The Corps seems more interested in downstream water quality. It's not full bore generation followed by no flow and the river bottom baking in the sun. There are heavy growths of weeds. I do not know my aquatic plants, but they are the same type as found in the spring creeks out west. Of course the Caney is pretty much gravel all the way down the river. Certainly plenty of areas a trout could spawn. I wonder what the guys who float the Caney will see this fall.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM

I'll keep my eyes open, doing an all day float (jet boat) Tuesday.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM

I can't speak for the Caney, but can with 100% certainty speak for the Clinch, which has pretty poor spawning habitat IMO. However, not only do the fish attempt to spawn in the Clinch, they do so very successfully each year. Despite what the wizards with TWRA claim. It is heavy on rainbows in the Clinch, but that is probably due to the river being a rainbow dominated resource.

Trout can and are successful in many of our tailwaters so I wouldn't rule it out on the Caney.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 PM

I think the fish are just moving into the coolest water they can find & like Byron, i have witnessed some fry in creeks.

Grumpy