Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM

I've been impressed with the quality of information on this site. You can take to the bank what you get from LRO, Roger Lowe,Jim Casada, Hugh Hartsell and many others. Hugh has always given thorough and easy to understand tips. I hope to take his tying class if offered in the future.
The forum is one of the best I have ever seen!

Hal M.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Talk about overwhelming. I got off work at 6a.m. and had one reply to my post. I just now woke up and have been reading replies for 15 minutes. Since trout feed more under the surface I like fishing with nymphs more most of the time. Some guys I fish with can tell when they get a strike with no indicator. I use a dry most of the time for a strike indicator. Will a normal strike indicator spook fish if I use one so I can fish a tandem nymph rig? It is a rush watching a fish come after a dry fly though.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Man you can spook fish with the indicator one minute and then have one whack at it the next. When, and it ain't often at all, I use a indicator I got kinda if this bushy yellow/orange polysomthinorother rope stuff, i brish it out and it looks kinda buggy I guess, thought about stiking a hook in there cuz they will hit it, even fought a few fish for a second or two with it in their mouth till they let it go! I have used the thingamabober and it is cool if you are fishing some heavy stuff cuz it'll float and no re-dressing LRO sells em all different sizes

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks Carolina Boy. I will have to pick some up next time I am down there. I need to just break down and accept not catching many fish to practice detecting strikes with no indicator too.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Unless you are in rather deep water tie on a dry fly and drop that nymph off there, they can show you how to rig it at the shop. Then you got the best of everything, you twice as many shots. Man I will fish a big dry even when i know there is no way they are gonna rise. When you do fish deep and try and "feel" the take remember hook sets are free

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM

Isaw this week what you mean about doubling the chances. I fished Ramsay Prong 2 days in a row. Same spot, same holes, same flies...................first day they hit nothing but the green weenie dropper..............next day they would not look at the dropper but wore out the parachute hopper. Even the little 3 inchers were somehow getting a mouth full of the size 12 hopper
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Yep the thing is the fish in the park don't have the time to scrutinize the fly like their tailwater counterparts, so quite often pattern is lower down the line of importance compared to presentation, as it is with bass sometimes the more aggresive the fish takes can tell you how much competion there is in the area as well

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Once you have fished the water in the Park for a while you get to know how fast the water flows where you are fishing...just like following a dry fly and having to mend your line. The first time I ever fished a nymph was early one spring on Tremont when nothing was hitting on top...a couple of locals gave my friend and I several Tellico nymphs and just told us to watch the end of our fly lines....if it stopped for no apparent reason or jerked then chances were there had been a take....we both started catching fish almost immediately....I have watched oldtimers fishing with nothing more than a cane pole and a length of mono and move up the creek behind the trees high sticking a wet fly into runs....more times than not they were catching more than we with our fancy combos...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM

I have tried nymphing with no indicator but have a bit harder time with it. I have tried the parachute adams and had good luck with it, but I have had the best luck with a royal wulff. Plus it works much better as an indicatior for me as it has much more surface area and stays afloat much better. I fished from the first bench of Ramseys Cascade trail to where Ramsey Prong breaks off the main stream. Had great luck with a parachute hopper and tellico nymph before cahnging to a royal wulff and barbie weenie(I was out of Green Weenie) and had even better luck. The rainbows loved the Wulff and the brookies loved the Weenie. Pulled 3 eight inch brookies. Heard they are even bigger on Ramsey Prong. Gotta go back and find out
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Indicator Source

This is a system see link http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/me...eaders_tippetssee that I have started using last year because of the ease of changing the fly and leader very quickly and not to mention the use of the indicator which serves as the connector to the fishing line. I really like the fact that I can have a number of leaders already tied with flies on them and can simply remove them from the pack that it came in and click and twist onto my line in a jiffy. I usually have a couple of flies such as a wet and nymph tied on and let the green connector serve as my indicator. It floats extremely high in the water and you can see it really well when you are getting a hit. I use this system for all flies including dries and a dropper off the dry. Take a look at this link and you will see what I am talking about. I hope this will be some help. Good Fishing