Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Default back country campsite procedure

So I am thinking of trying to get a site sometime in November, maybe cs # 18,24,or 40. Are these campsites first come first serve or do I need to reserve a site before getting there?

If they are first come first serve, what is the procedure? Do I just show up at a ranger station and say I would like a site at this campsite, fill out the reservation, pay, then be on my way? Are the rangers going to check my gear or anything to see if i have proper camping equipment?

If I need to reserve it and have done so, do I need to check in somewhere in the park before heading out once I get there?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Go to the Smoky Mountain National Park link at nps.gov and look up "backcountry camping".....it has the answers to each of the questions you have posed....no charge for the permits and you can reserve a campsite up to one month in advance...reservations have to be made over the phone....cannot be done over the internet.....have a great time....but like the site says be sure to check status of site when you get to the park since they can be closed for bear activity without notice.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

call 865-436-1297 back country office
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM

They don't check your gear or make sure you are ready and properly equipped thats all up to you. In fact most times you never have any contact with the rangers. You call the backcountry office to get a reservation (if staying at a site where needed) then you go to a ranger station and they have kiosks outside where you fill out your backcountry permit drop the top cover in a box and keep the carbon copy with you. Then you are off. So most times there is no face to face at all with a ranger unless you just want to go in and chat with them to be more at ease and I am sure that would be no problem.