Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Back from Hazel

Well I can check one thing off my bucket list. A friend and I finally made the trip to Hazel and was not disappointed. I've never had 5 days (3 full days fishing) pass so fast. We took the canoe from Cable Cove across on Wednesday and came out on Sunday. Stayed at Bone Valley with no else the entire time and only one guy at Sugar Fork. The bear(s) were active and I had one walk past me on the bank while I was in the stream and Doug had one cross the stream below him while fishing. But the guy at Sugar Fork had one visit him during dinner and was reluctant to leave (which resulted from a visit from the ranger and a sign being posted at Sugar Fork). The fishing was as good as I have experienced in the park and there are 2 15 inch plus fish with my Green Weenies stuck in their jaws between Brown's pool and Bone Valley. While landing one or both would have been great, they both gave me quite a thrill for the few seconds we were attached. I love my new TFO 3 weight, but I am not good enough to land fish like that, especially with 6x. I have nothing to compare the water level to, but it seemed fine to me. I can't imagine that the fishing gets much better, but I hear October is the time to go. If I could go back right now I would, but I wouldn't have a family or job when I returned. I can only say that I will return as soon as I can. There is so much more to see there. I didn't go up Bone Valley or Sugar Fork or much past our campsite and really didn't spend much time exploring old Proctor. Sorry to be such a babbling fool, but it really was an amazing trip. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will.
Tye
Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Sounds like you had a good time. I'm glad the greenie weenie is still producing. I've never fished one but plan on it this weekend if I manage it up there on Saturday afternoon.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Tye, sounds like you and Doug had a fine trip. I have been on Hazel numerous times and have always enjoyed it. We were there when the flood hit in 2005 and luckily made it out just before the second bridge got washed out. We had a boat tied up at the mouth of the creek and it got flooded - we lost the motor ( someone stole it off the transom that was sticking up out of the water ) we did go back about 2 weeks later when the water went down and got the boat. We had to leave our camp at Sugar Fork quickly when the Park Service came to check the bridges they took us down to the lake and tried to help us get the boat out but to no avail. We left all of our gear at Sugar Fork for 5 days and when we were able to get back to the camp it looked as though we had just been gone for a few minutes -- absolutely nothing was disturbed - no bears, racoons and I don't believe even a mouse had been in our food or belongings. All of our camping gear, fishing equiptment and cameras were left behind when we pulled out so quickly
Bone valley creek is good fishing but the next time you go be sure and go above Bone Valley on the main creek a mile or so - fishing is unbelievable. Don't waste your time on Sugar fork, it fizzels out pretty quickly.
We have since replaced the motor and gotten a new boat and have made several trips back to Hazel......... remind me sometime and I'll tell you another "fishin' story" , this one is true..........fearnofishbob....tight lines
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 AM

fearnofishbob,
Sounds like you've had quite a few adventures at Hazel. Being there during the flood must have been a tad scary. When talking about fishing Bone Valley are you saying a mile up Bone Valley Creek or a mile up Hazel from Bone Valley? Love you hear your fishin story. Can't wait to get back there.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Tye, sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. I should have been more specific, continue up Hazel Creek and you will come to a cabin on the left that the Park services uses from time to time. from this cabin on up on Hazel you should be in some terrific water. Bone Valley creek has never been real productive but it is worh a trip to the end of the road to see the restored cabin that is there. It is really a special place and I'm sure you would enjoy the trip. Another creek you might enjoy as well is Eagle creek. It is not as long asHazel but I enjoy fishing it as much and maybe more that Hazel. It would be a long canoe trip from Cable cove or the marina at the dam either one. You might want to consider the ferry if you go to Eagle..........tight lines... Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Bob,
The ranger that came and talked to us a the bear suggested Eagle too. It is on my list. Taking the canoe was realy more of one of those things I said I'd do one day. It is out of my system now. I'll take the ferry in the future. can't wait to get back. Thanks
Tye
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Tye, if you go to the marina( which is about your only choice) they will charge about $50.00 round trip to either Eagle or Hazel. That amount may have changed since I haven't used their shuttle service in several years. Third option would be to go to Forney Creek. It is another "super" creek. You can use a state maintained boat ramp that is directly across the lake from Forney or you can park at the end of the "Road To Nowhere" and backpack to Forney......about 2.5 - 3.0 miles one way. Camp site # 74 would be the site where you would want to stay it is about 1/4 mile above the lake and from there you could fish up stream. Excellent fishing...........Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM

fearnofishbob,

The ferry is still $50.00 round trip.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks Jason, I thought some of my friends had used the ferry pretty recently and the fare was still 50 but I wasn't sure. We bought a boat and motor to save ferry cost, we were going so frequently it got expensive. Now we can come and go as we please..........Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM

What are the 'docking' conditions like at Hazel, Forney and Eagle? With a canoe, do you just get it well-up out of the way and leave it upside down?
I've got too many canoes and kayaks to be paying $50 for a half hr. boat ride:-)!
Ghost