Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Default Elkmont,.......... better than a good day at work

I hit Elkmont this morning for the first time. Between the pooring rain and me casting in to trees it was frustrating. I gave up and wanted fish for dinner, so I hit the stocked section of Roaring Fork. Not as much fun catching stockers as wild trout but catching fish is catching fish and it's fun. Here are some stocker pics if I can get them to work.

Yes I eye-hooked that one, but it tasted just the same haha.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Great looking fish! How long did it take to catch them all?? The one on top looks like it swallowed a football!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM

I fishied the stocked section for about 45 minutes to get those. That fat one in the top pic was heavy and fought hard. It was in a very small but deep hole with and undercut rock bank. I have tried several times and never got a bite in that hole until that hog today.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Without getting too specific, what type of flies did you use. All dry flies or any nymphs in the mix?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM

tandem green weenie rig. one big stocker ate my indicator
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info!! flyguys
Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
I hit Elkmont this morning for the first time. Between the pooring rain and me casting in to trees it was frustrating. I gave up and wanted fish for dinner, so I hit the stocked section of Roaring Fork. Not as much fun catching stockers as wild trout but catching fish is catching fish and it's fun. Here are some stocker pics if I can get them to work.

Yes I eye-hooked that one, but it tasted just the same haha.
tjw--For what it is worth, and admittedly I'm going by a photo as opposed to looking at the real thing, but I mwould make a modest bet that the two smaller rainbows are wild trout. Note the difference in coloration, the difference in the appearance of the dorsal fins, etc. So I think it likely you caught a mixture of hatchery-raised fish and wild trout. I'm not 100 percent accurate with rainbows, but you can ALWAYS tell a stream-bred brown.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 PM

I wondered if the fatter of the smaller ones was wild. It hit and fought much harder. I have caught some 10-12 inch fish that were extremely brightly colored( much more than the two in the picture) in the upper part of Cosby Creek just before entering the park. I wondered if they were big wild ones or if they were holdover fish that had gained some color. Do they gain color after being in the stream a while? By the way Jim, I bought your book at LRO yesterday. Just skimmed through it so far, but I love it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM

tjw--Take a close look at the fins below the gill plates on the two lower fish and compare them to those on the upper ones. You will see a distanct difference--those fins don't appear to have ever been in contact with concrete, while those on the dough bellies are blunt and rounded, a sure sign of a hatchery fish. Jim Casada
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Yes I see what you mean. Thank you. I will have to look at that next time I catch one of those big bright fish I mentioned earlier.