Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Default puglisi streamers

I've been on this kick of fishing the puglisi flies a lot over the past 2-3 years. Rusty Fowler got me hooked on them and after talking with Ian Rutter, I think I've got the correct line now for the best presentation.

TN shad

baby rainbow

anyone else fish em?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi Gary,

Yours look great. I've been using them for years in both fresh and saltwater. I'm tying a redbreast sunfish now using white EP Fibers and coloring them with orange, grey, olive, blue and black markers. They are tied on a stinger hook and are almost 2" long. Lost a good smallmouth yesterday on one. Paula caught a real nice smallmouth on the threadfin pattern yesterday afternoon in the jumps. They are realistic and hold their 3-D shape in the water. You can make about any baitfish pattern using this method and materials. After I use one for the day I bring it home. Using a toothbrush I comb the fibers out and re-apply the color using Prismacolor Markers.

Byron
Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Thats what I've been doing also. Using all white fibers and adding in the colors. The toothbrush is what makes it all come together in a nice blend.
I used #4 Gamakasu Stingers on these. The rainbow is about 4-5" long.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi Gary,

My next pattern is going to be a 3" to 4" smallmouth bass. I'm seeing a lot of those. I use the book "Fishes of Tennessee" by David Etnier and Wayne Starnes as a guide for patterns around here. For saltwater patterns I just Google Pinfish or another baitfish to get the color and shape. I've been missing some fish on the smaller Gamakatsu stinger hooks. I'm tying the bigger baitfish on #2 and using a 7 wt. I'm trying your black Stealth Bombers with Chartreuse legs tomorrow. Hope they work. I forgot to mention, use a non-slip loop knot and they will have more action. Also, I'm tying the material all the way to the hook eye so they don't dip down when you don't strip especially if you use rod wrap finish to seal the wraps. I've also noticed that the top of the head appears to be white if you don't put a lot of color on top.

Byron
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 PM

The black/Chart. bomber is one of my favorites. It can be hard to see at a distance so make sure you have some sort of site post behind the delta wing. Kent uses scraps of flashabou and I have super glued a small pointed flag of yellow craft foam to the backside of the wing to give me a brightspot to focus on. The black ones can be hard to see in the shady areas and as you know, the big smallies seldom make noisy splashy rises but rather a soft gulp from underneath. If this rain keeps up, I'll be heading back over there myself. good hunting!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Default puglisi question

good looking flies. I have started to fool around with these guys myself. I have caught a few fish but still working on the patterns. I tend to put way to much EP fibers in. What kind of rig are you guys fishing your puglisi flies on?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM

When I first started tying the puglisi flies , I used way too much fibers also. Lots of material was wasted during the trimming process. Now I pull out enough so that when I stretch it, it is about as thick as pencil lead. That keeps it sparse and a thin profile.

I throw these flies with a floating line when fishing shallow water and a 4-5 wt rod works fine even with a size 2. I've tried a 200 grain full sinking line, and spent a lot of time untangling line knots. The best way to present them is with a sinktip. I use a Teeny T-130 with a 6wt rod and recently bought an Orvis Class 5 fast sinking 15ft head sinktip to use with an 8wt. I fish from a canoe and wade a lot also and these two lines work for me. Several drift boat guides in the area use this system . It works well with not only puglisi flies , but big deerhair streamers also.
Kelly Galloup and Ian Rutter have written on the subject in their books.