Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Default WPLP 2 weeks ago

I was up WPLP a couple of weeks ago and caught a few Brookies and a few Bows. Also ran into Mama bear with 2 cubs. I took a few pics but then left my camera with an outfitter over on the New river in VA on a Smallie trip last week. Just got it back so here's a couple of pics and I'll post the warm water pics in that section.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Bran,

Your pic of the bears looks like lower down on WPLP. You must have been covering some territory to get that shot and catch some brookies. Where abouts were you?

I haven't been fishing in about 2 1/2 weeks and it's killing me. Glad you made it out - hope by this weekend, the river isn't blown out up there too much from all the rain we've had cause I'm needin' a fix real bad.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Yep, you're exactly right, the bears were down near sugarland. I also ran into a Mama and 2 cubs up above the Road Prong the day before but I couldn't get the camera. It was on my side but that Mama bear was staring me down so I backed out slowly and headed on down a ways from her. This particular bear that was down low paid no mind to me at all but I was shooting her with a telephoto lens from about 60 yards away or more. I'm sure she has had some human run-ins before though, good luck getting out, I hope the water stays decent for you.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM

In the many decades that I have fished in the Park I have seen more bears on that stretch of the WPLP between the Sugarlands and the Chimney's picnic area than anywhere else I have fished....kinda spooky.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 PM

I always wondered what I would do if I ran up on one that acted aggressive. This Mama didn't bluff me or anything, she just huffed a time or two and then stared at me while both young ones took off up through the Rhodo. It didn't phase me at all, I just started backing up the hillside bank until she started to turn away then I did the same, went back to the truck and drove on up the parkway another mile or more and tried another spot.
The second one there that I got the pics. of just paid no attention whatsoever to me but then the closest I got was about 55-60 yards. The first day on up above the chimneys I was on top of that bear before I or she realized the other one was there. When I stopped we were about 15 good paces between us. I could see the little cubs whiskers twitching as they checked me out.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM

It is amazing how quick you can be up on a bear and not know it...my buddy and I had fished up the WPLP to a spot just below the picnic area when we decided to climb out to the road rather than hike back down the river....we were about 10 ft from the road when a tourist asked us if we had seen the two bear cubs that just ran down the mountain in our direction...never heard or saw the cubs or mom but knew they were there...really a creepy feeling when you know they have to be close by and not a sight or sound made by them.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
It is amazing how quick you can be up on a bear and not know it...my buddy and I had fished up the WPLP to a spot just below the picnic area when we decided to climb out to the road rather than hike back down the river....we were about 10 ft from the road when a tourist asked us if we had seen the two bear cubs that just ran down the mountain in our direction...never heard or saw the cubs or mom but knew they were there...really a creepy feeling when you know they have to be close by and not a sight or sound made by them.
I guess that there's something to be said for solid black camo
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I guess that there's something to be said for solid black camo
I've seen internet debates go on forever on the best camo pattern with many saying black doesn't occur naturally in nature and shouldn't be in a pattern.
Tell that to the bears.