Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Cataloochee ??

hope to go camping this weekend if the rains quit, what would work best this time of year? dry flies or use a dry and a dropper? which ones, and what part of the creek ? i have never fished it before but been several times to view the elk. thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch black View Post
hope to go camping this weekend if the rains quit, what would work best this time of year? dry flies or use a dry and a dropper? which ones, and what part of the creek ? i have never fished it before but been several times to view the elk. thanks
Pitch Black--If you are fishing Cataloochee proper in the valley, I'd certainly go with a hopper and a dropper. But my real recommendation would be to do one of the following: (1) Take a day and get down in the gorge between the campground and the Park boundary, (2) fish one of the many feeders in the headwaters such as Rough Fork or Caldwell Fork, or (3) if you like to get off trail, try Little Cataloochee. To me, all are more appealing than the slow-moving water and "people infestation" of the main valley. Jim Casada
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Pitch Black, I agree with Jim, you would be better off on one of the feeder streams. If you go the lower bridge and get there first you can fish the gorge but you'll have to walk back down the creek when you get ready to leave, there are no trails in this section of the creek. Where ever you decide you will see plenty of humanity. The elk are rutting and this is bringing people by the car loads. If you want to escape this madness you can cross over the mountain and fish Big Creek. Best of luck & tight lines...........Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm thinking seriously of going to Cattaloochie in mid Oct. probably the week of 12th thru 16th and would like to camp...I know that Oct is the season of "leaf peepers".
My question is,will the drive in campground there most likely be full during the week or could there be some room?
I hope to stay,but I know anywhere in that time will be busy,I just hate to go try and find a room....which will probably be harder.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Rebelsoul, I'd think twice before I'd pull a camper into Cataloochee - very narrow & curvy road. I live 11 miles from the Park boundry at Cataloochee and I am in there very frequently. You can go to the Gov. website and see if you can make reservations for the time you want.....http://www.recreation.gov
The week days would definitely be your best bet... I stay away from that place during leaf / elk rutting season.......Let me know if I can help.......Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM

Used to be Catalochee was first come, first served. Has that changed?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM

According to the GSMNP website you do not need reservations for Cataloochee campground, but I was there a few weeks ago when the rut first started and could barely find a place to stand let alone camp.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Just checked the National Park Service site. (I should have done that before I posted) It states there are 27 first come sites. There is a group site that takes reservations, and is probably the one that shows up on the government campground reservations website. I would definitely have a plan "B" for camping that time of the year.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
Rebelsoul, I'd think twice before I'd pull a camper into Cataloochee - very narrow & curvy road. I live 11 miles from the Park boundry at Cataloochee and I am in there very frequently. You can go to the Gov. website and see if you can make reservations for the time you want.....http://www.recreation.gov
The week days would definitely be your best bet... I stay away from that place during leaf / elk rutting season.......Let me know if I can help.......Bob
Sorry Bob,I didn't make myself clear,I tent camp,there's no way I'd try to take a trailer on some of those mountain roads. I just need a spot to pitch a tent.
During the elk rut are the sightseers there because the elk are out strutting or fighting? I don't know how elk are during a rut...I know how deer are.
Thanks for the offer to help...I'll keep that in mind.
Sounds like I might pick another area if it's that crowded....I'm afraid it's going to be crowded everywhere in Oct.
Rick
Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM

The big bulls are occasionally fighting, but they were bugling a whole lot.