Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Caney report 9/17-9/19 MTFF & broken rod

Had a great outting with MTFFnthis weekend. I arrived Friday mornong set up camp, inflated the pontoon boat and headed below the dam. A little slow caught about 20 on a olive bugger, but no really large browns. Saturiday we started about 12:00 and fished the falling water. caught about 20 nice trout using a copperjohn dropped off a dry. Missed 2 huge Browns, one at least 22 and one (maybe the water made it look bigger) I would swear was 30". Call it buck fever but I set the hook way to hard and end up with the dry stuck to my hat and no copperjohn. Then we got into some nice Rainbows 13-14", I brought about 8 of the little footballs to the net. Then I did something really stupid. Grabbed the leader to pull the flyline back through the last two guides, yea I know not to do it, but I did. Snap, my 2pcs orvis trident Tls became a 3pcs. that was my favorite tail water rod, and they have not made it since 04, and the matrix in my opnion is not even close to being the same rod. I am waiting on Orvis to call me back as I write this. Well I hiked back to the truck and pulled out my frequent flyer combo rod from behind the seat. 7' 5wt, It took me about 30 min before I could cast well enough get the good drifts needed. Finaly I got back into the groove and caught abot 20 more fish. But still no big brown.
Decide to fish all day Sunday, my wife has almost forgiven me! I also had a Orvis clearwater Gaintfish uses (he decided the homecoming dance rated higher that fishing) It worked OK for but it felt like a telephone pole compared to my tls. Caught around 30 fish, then missed another huge brown, this time the leader broke at the surgens knot, next time I took the time to tie a blood knot. Then I saw a nice Brown rising to my dry, soft little slurp and the fun was on, after a fun few minutes we finaly brought her to the net. Not a monster but around 18-19".

We had a great time, everyone of the members (20) caought fish with 3 or 4 of us having well over 120 fish weekend.

Last edited by Vern; 09-21-2009 at 10:43 PM..
Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 PM

Nice work fellas! sorry to hear about that rod, you should get something nice in return from Orvis though.

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 PM

Looks like they just stocked some browns and rainbows. How little were they?

Glad you had a good time.

Get any pictures of the big browns?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM

About your rod, tell Orvis you don't want the rod replaced. They may have some tips left and will be able to fix yours. I done this with an old Rocky Mtn. They replaced a broke guide and rewrapped the whole rod and sent it back. But the first thing they mentioned was to replace it with a TLS at the time. I didn't want it my RM is a full flex and a 9ft 4wt full flex it impossible to find now. All worked out great and they were super to deal with. Give it a try.
STU
Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 AM

what weight and length was your trident?

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up

Great report and pics Vern!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 AM

8'6 2pc 5wt tip flex. I called orvis and they may have a tip to replace it.
The farther down river you went the bigger the fish. Near the dam 9-11", closer to Lancaster 11-14" footballs. the biggest brown was 25".