Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 PM

Default Last Weekend down home

So i made the trek to the IOp for what may be one of the last tailing tides for the year. Not disapointing.

All fish put back to fight another day!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Great pics and nice fish

Carolina Boy,
Great pictures and really nice fish.

JohnH0802
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Thank you sir, I was happy about em got a new crab pattern that just wears em out, I will take a pic of it tonight and send it to you, my friend created it and they just jump all over it. I'll post it tonight

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM

I don't know much about saltwater fly-fishing at all, but I would love to be able to catch reds like that on the fly. Was this on the SC or NC coast? Are there particular areas on those coasts that are better for this type of fishing? Also, what kind of rig and patterns do you typically use for this? I saw your post about the crab pattern, which makes sense. I would appreciate any info you could offer (without giving away your secrets of course).
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Well I tell you you better tread lightly when it comes to salt water fly fishing it is cuz it is SUPER addictive. I would be happy to give you some of my insight just shoot me an email bmurphy055@gmail.com I will tell you this I have stuck reds, trout, bonefish, permit, and several grouper species, still haven't chased tarpon or snook YET. To me its like this, if flyfishing in the smokies or even tailwaters is an art like karate, then saltwater flyfishing is like a street brawl, now you still need precision in the salt and long casts in a ton of wind, so it ain't easy and it is not the same numbers game like the park so be prepared. But man when a bone just nukes your drag on a blistering 100 yard run, or a red just bulldogs you it is something else. It is definetly a power game. As far as gear I love my Lampsons I can afford em, no corrosion they work nice drag, Everything you need is at LRO Byron and Paula are great they have chased a lot of tarpon and know their stuff, Paula's knots have stoop up to some mean fish. I am from coastal SC so I go there, just north of Charleston south is great John on here is in Beaufort and his results speak for themselves. NC has some flats I just don't know em. The game changes drastically on seasons and patterns but shoot me an email and I'll fill in any gaps or questions!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)