Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Default need a little help

I do really well fishing smaller streams like road prong and streams with a lot of drop pools like MPLPR near ramsay trailhead. I have a lot of trouble with larger streams like little river and oconoluftee. My problem is in reading the larger streams and in keeping my fly line from dragging my fly in an unnatural drift. Any advice?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
I do really well fishing smaller streams like road prong and streams with a lot of drop pools like MPLPR near ramsay trailhead. I have a lot of trouble with larger streams like little river and oconoluftee. My problem is in reading the larger streams and in keeping my fly line from dragging my fly in an unnatural drift. Any advice?
tjw--Just treat larger streams by mentally breaking the into sections and concentrating on reading that section. As for trouble with drage, the single biggest problem in that regard for most folks is casting too far. You need longer casts, particularly in low water typical of this time of year, when it comes to long runs and big pools, but 20-25 feet is plenty far in pocket water. If you take care with your approach and keep a low profile, you can get that close more often than not. A long rod makes mending easier and allows you to keep more line off the water, one of many reasons I like a longer rod.
Beyond that, the best advice I can give you or anyone isto watch someone who really knows what he is doing for awhile. The observant angler can learn a passel from a veteran by a couple of hours of just tagging along. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Thank you Jim. 95% of the time if I am within 25 feet of where I want to place my fly I use a roll cast. I get out in my yard and practice my traditional (4 part or whatever you choose to call it) cast in case I start fishing more big water, but do you think I should try to use it more on small streams or stick with the roll cast(and out of the trees)?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

If you are having trouble with the presentation; stay above the pools and cast to one side of the flow and allow your fly to float naturally.

You can throw a short cast and have extra line pulled out and slowly let it out for distance and presentation.

Also, check you leader length and X for the correct application of the fly you are using. Follow a leader guide to help you for the appropriate hook size, line weight, and tippet to use....

One more thing; mend your tippet if it gets any type of memory...

Good Luck!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM

I can't stress this enough, avoid drag at all cost. Throw slack in the line constantly (or as the professionals calls it "mending". Also try not to fish straight down from the run as you will get instant drag.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM

tennswede,
I would not avoid drag all the time, just most of the time. I have found that philosophy to be a great misnomer in fly fishing. Natural presentation is overrated at times. There is a great topic called "suspension" that I have found very interesting. It involves downstream drag and lateral flow. There is some scientific theory behind it too. You can find it on the net if you look it up...

I have caught more fish this year in suspension than with natural drift. I have about 100 trips under my belt this year with around 2,500-3,000 fish landed.

Now, this theory greatly depends on the speed of the current and is practiced in slack or minimal flow.

Just a point of interest to discuss. I am not trying to say one is better than the other...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Madisonboats,

My bad I meant to make the statement in direct response to the original poster having trouble with his drift. With this answers I was assuming upstream dry fly fishing. Anyone who knows me can assure you that I catch plenty with other techniques. I have taken a lot of flack for being an advocate of North Country Spiders and the Leisenring and Hidy shcool of wet fly fishing. I was assuming too much I guess. So here's my clarification to the original poster.

Avoid drag at all cost when fishing upstream or downstream dry fly, unless you are fishing a fluttering caddis or fishing a dry fly as an submerged insect. In normal dry fly fishing avoid drag.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 AM

Talk about being lost haha. Whenever possible I fish upstream. Well, generally I am about 45 degree angle fishing from or just below either bottom corner of the run or whole I am trying to fish. I usually go 2-3 times a week, but I probably need to do as many people have suggested and spend a day on the stream with a guide or experienced angler to help refine my technique. I am catching several fish and having a blast, but I am very competitive, and if I do something I want to be the best I can be at it. All the advice I get on here is extremely helpful. My neightbor has been a fly guide for many years. I may have to hit him up for a day of fishing.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post

My bad I meant to make the statement in direct response to the original poster..
Hans,
No need for apology to me bud! I did not mean to sound like I was arguing a point over another. I was just trying to keep the new guys from getting locked in to a certain train of thought...

I fish with many experienced fishermen and they often remark about my casting techniques as being incorrect or not natural. I do not say anything back, I just catch fish and let them explain it for me

If you cast upstream; just peel the line to keep your leader from coiling.

No matter what; if it works for you; follow it and keeping doing it. If you find yourself having trouble with catching fish; work on changing your techniques...

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 09-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Spelly