Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Default JohnH0802...Questions for you

John-

I have never fly-fished saltwater, but am very interested to try it. I thought about maybe planning a trip down to the SC coast around the middle of October. Is the fishing still good on the grass flats during that time, particularly for reds? Also, are there any other species that can usually be fished at that time? Finally, my largest fly rod is an 8' 6 wt. Do you think that I could get away with that, at least as an introduction, or do you think I would definitely need something larger? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Tread Lightly,

You can definitely fish that rod and have fun in the SC Area. There are tons of good fishing spots. I have taken some kind of rod with me to all of my coastal trips and caught fish with bass plugs.

*The best thing would be to consider one area and contact a local kayak guide about timing and fly types. You can rent a kayak and piggy back another trip for about $40 a day. At other times; you can fish the bays and inlets. The major hangup will be wind. Try and monitor climate patterns when you time your trip. Otherwise, you will have to fish early AM or late night or just have to wait...

Hope that helps some...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks, Shawn. Yeah, I figure I can probably play around a bit with the rig I currently have. However, if I ever decide to try to do a fair amount of salt fishing, I think I might invest in a solid 9wt outfit at some point. I just think it would provide me with more versatility in those conditions and would help combat the wind issue. And I hear you on the other info...seems like the climate/tide patterns are pretty important when it comes to salt fishing. Well, that just gives me something else interesting to study. Take care.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Default rods and gear

Tread lightly,
You can use a 6wt, although that would be a tough rod to use in the wind. A 9wt is a little on the heavy side for redfish. Most of the people that I know around here use a 7 or 8wt (most use the 8 if it is windy, and the 7 if the wind is down enough to get away with it). I am a relative newcomer to the saltwater scene, however I have done pretty good this summer. My fishing has been primarily wade fishing on the short grass flats at higher tides for tailing fish. Based on this summer I would tell you that the best fishing has been with corrected tide levels in the 7.7-8.2 range, and it is best to get there 2 hours prior to high tide. The best spots are going to be your large grass flat areas that have at least one good deep water channel cutting through it for an escape route. In addition the places I have had the best luck have been adjacent to some of the good low tide flats (you can get maps that show productive flats areas). The fish are usually tailing here from around May until the end of October or so. It is weather dependent though. This year early in the summer we were not getting the water on the high tides, but from July on we have seemed to get higher than predicted tides. I would hold off on getting more gear, until you are hooked....good fishing.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the information, John. This is defintely a type of fishing I would like to try as soon as I can. I agree with you, and I will probably not invest in a new outfit until I have had some exposure to the saltwater fishing. For one thing, I currently am not down on the coast frequently enough for a new gear purchase to make sense. I think next time I am down there I will just bring my 6 wt along and try to find some areas that are maybe less plagued by the wind, if possible. And of course I will consult with the maps and tide info. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your help.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM

I was following the thread and I'm gonna give it a try this afternoon in Southport. I'm down here for a couple of days and I brought the 7wt. Think I'll try the Cape Fear for an hour before dark this evening.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Dude Carefull !!! If and certainly WHEN you start sticking our pescatoral friends from the briny deep you will forever be afflicted. Power like you cannot imagine. I love the 4 inch jewels of the mts, but there is nothing like starring at a 30 inch red waving his tail at you as he drills some hapless fiddler thats buring himself down for dear life. When your heart drops into the plough mud U R standing in and your knees wobble like overcooked spaghetti, you are caught in the moment where you know how close you are to feeling that unbelievable pull on the end of you rod and you realize that this may be the time that you get the upper hand and actually get to watch the explosion of a giant screaming line of your reel, and in an instant you realize you have to make a cast and when you come to your wits and are set you realize that the wind cooperates like an angry ex girlfiend, and the offering you invisioned landing 10 inches in front of the beast hits the monster on the head and the fish of a lifetime that was to be changes residences to north florida in mere second, leaving you to ponder what just happened? But rest easy my brother there will come another chance, and in time you will feel that pull, see that explosion, and hear the reel sing like she was made too, and when you do, well, welcome to the band of brothers that choose to make sticking our saltwater friends an infinitely more difficult...and personal pursuit. So Don't even get me started on Bonefish, and once we realize there is no going back we can sit in the corner of a dark room, shaking, knees gripped with both arms confused and lost and chat about Permit. but hey its just fishing........right?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the laugh CB!! I guess I was really lucky that I got skunked on my first outting, but there is still next time. I caught a nice sized "Piece-of-mind" that I decided to keep rather than c&r.