Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Default fishing and....bicycling!!!

After reading the report and the mention of bicycling, it got me thinking about riding my bike stream side with my pole. Would I get ran over on the park roads!? I know this is a strange topic, but wondering if it's ever been done by any one on here.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM

I think it depends on which stream. I think little river road would be a bit dangerous but I do see people biking it sometimes. I bet you could do that up the greenbriar area just fine. It is gravel/dirt but it goes for miles streamside and lots of people bike or walk it. Also you could go up tremont which is gravel and climbs a bit too much for my liking but you could do it there too. I see people on bikes up there when I am fishing.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM

jross--I assume you refer to using your bicycle on roads open to public travel, but there is another aspect of this. There is at least one place in the Park, and I think maybe more than one, where you can use your bike beyond gates. Such is the case on Deep Creek and Indian Creek, where gravel roads extend two miles (Deep Creek) and three-plus miles (Indian Creek). Something in the recesses of my cluttered mind tells me there are one or two other streams like this, but I may have it confused with streams where you can use wheeled buggies (Hazel, Forney, and Noland Creeks). It would certainly be worth checking out, and personally I've always wondered why bikes weren't allowed anywhere there were gravel roads used by Park vehicles. They don't do much if any damage, and certianly their impact compared with the havoc wrought by horses is negligible. I've always been troubled by use of horses, because anyone who uses backcountry trails much, especially in steeper situations, will tell you horses do tremendous damage.

I guess it's an influence thing, with a lot of bigwigs liking their equestrian activities. One other irritant--camping in a designated backcountry campsite where horses are allowed is odorous in the extreme. Now I've probably done it--lit a fuse on some avid horseman, but I defy anyone to make an rgument that they horse don't have a decidedly negative ecological impact.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Check out this link on bycyles.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/biking.htm
Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 PM

The gravel road above the Great Smoky Mountains Institute to the old logging town of Tremont at the forks is great for mountain bikes. That road was closed for a few years after the big flood in the early 90's. Paula and I rode our mountain bikes on it and fished often. We hardly saw anyone. We peddled up and back with our rods rigged. The trout forgot about anglers. They were dumb. There was only one area where we had to walk the bikes and that was near the Institute.

I see a lot of people riding bikes up there now. Don't see any with fly rods though. There is no reason you couldn't do it. Cataloochee is another place we have used bikes to move around and fish just for fun.

I bet the Cherokee National Forest (South) would be a good place to ride and fish. Also the Cranberry River in West Virginia is another location where people ride bikes and fish.

I have a friend who grew up in Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania. He rode his bicycle to fish every day until he was old enough to drive.

Byron
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 PM

Hmm...

I'm bringing my bike with me when I come in a couple of weeks.

Didn't thinking about riding to fish though.

I gotta find a lightweight pack for my waders...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Last summer I saw a guy riding up the gravel road towards the ramsay cascade trailhead on a cyclocross bike with paniers. There was a rod tube strapped to the back panier.

Unfortunately, most of the southern Cherokee NF trails are off limits to bikes (fire roads and FS roads being the exception). There is a few hiking trails in particular that I would love to ride.

Pisgah NF is a great place to ride to a fishing destination, as most of the trails are well suited for mountain bikes. It is also a bonus to be able to quickly get to a blue-line destination that would take hours to walk to. When I lived in Boone, NC I did some bike-packing and would love to get back into it and add in some backcountry fly fishing destinations.

If there is anyone else on the forum that might be interested in this, let me know.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

jim.
gotta agree, the horsey crowd does the most damage and leaves the biggest mess...and they toss everything they bring along the way.
sam
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Mountain biking and fly fishing go together like peanut butter and jelly, especially now that we have multi-piece packable rods. I have biked and fly fished often in Pisgah Forest, NC. I had read that one of Pres. Bush's last initiatives before leaving office was to be the opening of many National Park and Forest trails to biking. Bush was an active mtn. biker. I suppose this didn't happen.

I concur with the concept of limiting/ eliminating horse travel and expanding bike use. The degradation of trails and habitat by horses is so obvious, certainly worse than a bike. Both sports are allowed at Tsali, the nearby mtn biking area, with the trails alternating between horses and bikes on successive days. Bike use outweighs horse use by 50 to 1, yet horses still get "equal" time. For anyone interested in some mountain biking in conjunction with a park visit, Tsali is hard to beat. No fishing there, though, unless you want to dip a line in the lake.

It's hard to walk the Hazel Creek trail and not envision what a fantastic, scenic ride it would be on a bike. Unfortunately, this would probably cause even more crowding and use in an already heavily visited area. One can predict that there would be bikers taking the ferry over just to enjoy the ride, and not fishing at all. However, there are certainly other areas that would not be harmed by biking. Mr. Casada's book has an interesting historical section on early bike use in the park in the 40's and 50's by fishermen accessing streams. This is not a new idea!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I'm a very avid backpacker/hiker and can't stand the horses clodding up the trails and mucking them up my hiking group did trail maintenance with the NPS and the Friends of The Smokies trail crew and I asked why they were allowed? And the park director's answer was, that many of the trails in the park were created by horses and therefore the horses and the horse trails will remain.

As a Mountain biker I would have to say bikes on narrow trails with hikers and horses is a bad idea and in my opinion and would take away from the peacefulness of the backcountry. I think if they allowed this some mountain bikers would probably wind up with trekking poles in their spokes.

And as for mountain bikes I hate to say this but they cause more erosion than horses as always I have a link check it out.

http://mountainbike.about.com/od/tip...Wet_Trails.htm

Last edited by spotlight; 10-01-2009 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: bad speller