Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Mike,
I have heard a lot about the elitism of western fly fishers but not so much here in East Tennessee. I started fly fishing about 2 1/2 years ago and was posting questions on this board right and left - some legitimate, some pretty silly in retrospect. But I've always received interesting, informative and polite responses to even the most off-the-wall questions. People on this board normally leap at questions, particularly from novices, with some really great responses. If anything, answers come like a fire-hose with lots of different perspectives.

I'll admit that from time to time, someone will understandably protect the location of a favorite stream or honey hole on this board but, for the most part, sharing is the general rule of the day. Whatever your bad experiences have been in the past with people unwilling to share, I hope you have a very different experience with this group of fly fisher folk.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Default Hey Mike TN

Hey bud shoot me an email at bmurphy@gmail.com we ought to chat, I would be happy to help you any way i can

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 PM

When i was younger I tournament bass fished on a state level. I spent lots of $$$ on all the grear. Every weekend I was on the road fishing. Overall I had a positive experience and I met some really good people.
But there is an ugly side to everything. It changes people when you mix the words competitive, and money....

I think it is wrong to have any competitive event involving wildlife that gives money and fame to any one person.
Ok now if an event gives 100% of the money to a charity, sign me up, this old man think he can out fish any 20 or 30 year old.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 PM

Talking

I think the idea of competitive trout fishing goes against all of the reasons one trout fishes (fly fishes).

I believe the competition is between the angler and the fish.

Now, anyone can throw a lure and baitfish. But, it takes a true fisherman and a self imposed trout fisherman to take on a trout with the challenge of matching the fly to the hatch.

Other than that; I think I would just beat everyone in any trout competition... Just kidding friends...

Good topic...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM

It's all about EGO! there are numerous ways to get kids into fishing, in todays society it's all about competition, way to many simple things are lost because the kids are being taught or feel they have to be #1 in everything they do.

Grumpy
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 AM

So, how much money can I win and how frequently are these things held?

All one has to do is catch more and bigger fish than the next guy and I get money? I love this country. I'm looking for a way to make a living when I retire.

Seriously, I agree with most of what folks have said here. Tounament fishing is not for me. Anything one does for money becomes a job and I wouldn't want fishing to be work.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I am an agressive person when it comes to competition I've been told,I don't see it that way,but a former karate teacher "pounded it into my head"....yeah karate,football,baseball and all that when I was younger,but not fishing!
Fly fishing is and should always be the way Jim Casada described it,and I think that is what makes us love it so much.
But,the younger crowd like some have mentioned will see the competitions as a new avenue,and I truly hope it doesn't happen.
A girl at work is an angler in the women's Pro Bass circuit thingamajig...she has told me things about the sport and tournaments that would totally ruin flyfishing.The big "pros" make jillions of dollars and whenever they're around they have throngs of followers who hover around just to watch and admire them as they fish.She told me that one guy had as many as 150 bass boats chasing him around the lake.
Can you imagine a fly fishing tournament in the mountains with thousands of hero worshipping onlookers crowding in to see their favorite angler...I'm sure promoters can envision that,$$$$$$$.....and I hope it never happens.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM

If anything, competition in my opinion would drive people away, not draw them to fly fishing.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:08 PM

John Voelker's words and thoughts sum it up fairly well for me in his Testament of a Fisherman.

I fish because I love to;
because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;
because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;
because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;
because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;
because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip;
because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;
because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;
because bourbon out of an old tin cup always taste better out there;
because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;
and, finally, not because I regard fishing as so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Regardless of your opinions on the subject (I feel the same as most of ya'll), the bottom line is that it is bringing people together for a common purpose...FISHING...and that my friends is NEVER a negative thing.