Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Fishing tomorrow (9/27) after all this rain

Will it be worth a trip to the smokies to fish tomorrow after all of the rain we had today? Was thinking of going up past Tremont somewhere, if the water's not too high. What do you think?

--Matt
Old 09-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Kermit

Sounds like it will be a wash out....Possible high up on the NC side but that will still be iffy.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...100222&catid=2

K
Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Take a look at the following graphs. Since yesterday, the Little Pigeon has risen about 6 feet in Sevierville.

In the same timeframe, Little River has also risen about 6 feet at the Y.

It's actually starting to show a bit of a downturn in the last hour or so but I would leave the Smokies streams to Duckypaddler and his buds tomorrow. :-0

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM

I just copied this from T.E. Shuler's description of conditions on the NC side during the flyfishing competition there today.http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/huh-t32979."The water came up in a wall that was 6 feet high as it came down from the Ravens Fork and Straight Fork confluence. It was amazing to see. It started raining, not really hard but just good steady rain, a few times it rained pretty hard, but not enough down low to give an indication of what was coming. The water came up very fast, faster than I have ever seen before on any stream. I havn't watched the news yet but judging from what happened there had to be a cloud burst in the Smokies to have caused all that. Down on the Main stem of the Luftee, there were trees coming down the river at dark."
Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 AM

I think that answers my question. Thanks for the info. I might have to do a little warmwater fishing instead...
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Wow, the water in Gatlinburg went up 6 feet in 30 minutes and they evacuated Elkmont! Some serious rain. Hope nobody got stuck on the wrong side of the streams yesterday.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Smile Good times for paddling, not so much for fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
It's actually starting to show a bit of a downturn in the last hour or so but I would leave the Smokies streams to Duckypaddler and his buds tomorrow. :-0
I paddled Greenbrier yesterday and had a great time. I only did one lap and headed home to help the wife with the twins. My friends who stayed for another lap just took off when it spiked to flood leaving water so high it was in the road. Tellico hit 9 feet, Little River hit 8 feet. Water guage at Chimeys showed a 4 foot vertical rise. This was a serious storm to say the least (Hurricane Ivan only took Little to 5 feet). Maybe it will clean out some of the deadfalls! I wish I could paddle today, but I have to work all day starting at noon. Anyway also check road closure as Greenbrier & Cades Cove Rds are closed due to flooding.

I was surprised to see 2 guys fishing as I was coming down the river. They were working the edges. I asked the second guy if he was throwing streamers, and was surprised when he answered he was fishing a parachute Adams. He said they were catching several small bows.

If you guys fish in the next couple days be careful! Don't underestimate the power of the water. As paddlers we learn to work with these forces to do our will, but you will never be as strong as Mother Nature.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM

I hope nobody gets hurt or worse,it amazes me that people don't fear high water,they just don't understand what it can do.
Years ago here two men who should have known better,(they would have if sober),drowned when their car stalled in a creek,they were sitting there waiting for somebody to come along,and a wall of water came downstream and rolled the car a hundred yards downstream.
This is just hill country,not mountains,and the creek crossing is normally about 6 inches deep,and about 15ft. across.
To look at the place you would never believe it happened there.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Unhappy Last week some guy drowned after making a 5 dollar bet he could cross the stream

It was basically a flooded culvert. He was ego driven and thought he could catch the brush on the other side (was 8-10 feet accross). He washed downstream only to be found later by search & rescue. Several young family members witnessed it. Just really need to use your common sense, especially when approaching uncommon situations.

Be Safe,
James
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 AM

I saw that,how stupid! a $5 bet and then thousands to search/recover,I'm sorry but they should send the bill to the others who waged the bet....I know they couldn't/wouldn't pay it.
That type of stuff should deter other stupid activity but it doesn't.