Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Confessions of a Fly Shop Manager

Some of this is pretty funny, but too adult oriented to post here:

http://www.primalfly.com/blog/confes...-shop-manager/
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM

So, what's hot.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator

The person who wrote that would never have lasted a day at LRO...and with that attitude, didn't need to be working in a fly shop, in my ever so humble opinion.

Paula
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Begley View Post
The person who wrote that would never have lasted a day at LRO...and with that attitude, didn't need to be working in a fly shop, in my ever so humble opinion.

Paula
Paula,
Well said!

I think being grumpy would just make for a very long day. It's a whole lot easier to be nice and to enjoy what you do. My goodness, a person is at work 8, 10, 12 or more hours every day. How stressful it must be to spend that much time in a grumpy mood.

I'm sure you have 50 people every day ask what they're biting on, and another 50 people asking where to fish and another 50 asking if you sell minnows and worms. But that's the nature of the business and if one does not enjoy talking fishing with customers, he/she is probably in the wrong job. As much as I love fishing and everything about it, I don't see how it could ever get old, but I'm sure there are days that it does.

I imagine, just like any job, there are days when it's work and there are days when one just doesn't feel good or had a bad experience the night before or some jerk cut you off on the road on the way in. There are probably even days when you'd rather be anywhere else but at the shop. In my mind, when I have days like that at work, I just think this is the day they are paying me to be here. The other days, I do it for free. At least at LRO, all one has to do is look out the window or step out to the front porch, look up at those beautiful mountains and be thankful they get that view every day. The view out of my office window is at another concrete and brick building. But it is my job and while I'm there, I do my best to have fun, enjoy the people I work with and do my level best to find something in that day to enjoy and makes me happy. It usually works.

Life is too short and precious to waste time beign grumpy. On those days when I start feeling grumpy, I stop to realize how fortunate I am to have a wife and son who love me, a job to go to, a next fishing trip to look forward to and the fact that I'm verticle with my feet down and my head up.

As a customer, I really appreciate the way you all at the shop run the business.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Negative people are like cancers! I RUN from them... I cannot stand to be around grumpy and negative people.

Now, the right people with the right attitude will attract people.

Funny how many businesses have lost this trait...

Glad to hear your comment Paula!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Musta been one of them crabby shop owners near Yellowstone I keep hearin' about.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Musta been one of them crabby shop owners near Yellowstone I keep hearin' about.
Blue, I could tell you a couple stories. If we ever go fishing together...

My son and I had very good experiences at a couple shops and less than good experiences at a couple shops (one in particular). But like with anything else, you may walk into one of the shops we liked and think they were horrible and walk into one of the shops that treated us like they were doing us a favor by being open and you may find them great. Sometimes it just depends on who's there and how their day has gone. That's why I've never mentioned that shop's name in any of my threads. I don't think it would be fair to do that to a shop based on one person's bad experience.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I suspect fly shop owners/employees have their cranky days like the rest of us