Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Default Journals

I bought a pocket journal from these guys to carry on road trips. They are small enough to put in your pocket and make timely notes.

Check it out at http://www.journalsunlimited.com/.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 10-28-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Yes SWAMPUS very wise observation sir!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 AM

I agree with the Dragon being way out of control. A couple of years ago I had to come home on a piece of 129 after crossing over on the Cherohala. The bikers were all over me as usual. As I rounded a corner, I saw an ambulance on the side of the road lifting a guy up in a stretcher. His armor was all shredded and there were blood stains all down his leg. His bike was halfway down the embankment. These guys say they come from all over "to kill themselves", but I would love to know their thoughts when the pain, fear, and sometimes death creep in after an accident like that.

What really bothers me is how selfish these people are. They feel they have a right to come out here on public roads paid for by all of us and completely ignore all rules of safety just so they can have a thrill. There are families with children driving those roads all the time and those bikers risk the lives of everyone on the road when they drive like that. If they want to fly, they should go pay to use a private road or track, but not our public roads. I applaud the ones who obey the laws and just want to enjoy the beauty of those roads. But the racers have got to go!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Strongly agree

KUDOS,Tread Lightly.My place in N.C. is off hwy 28 between Franklin and Louada(intersection w/rt 74).They love this piece of road!Leathers may cut down on roadrash ,but doesn't help when you hit a tree @ 40 per.I'm there every other month and travel 28 alot going to the Nant and GSMNP.Never seen a cop.Never!6years-no cop!Maybe those 2 squirrels from the insurance commercial will move to the mountains!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah, I don't know why you never see any police out there. I mean, if you want some ticket revenue, that is the place to get it. But they probably don't trap it because they figure they won't be able to catch the bikes. Those police cruisers would be no match against a crotch rocket on those roads. But maybe they could hire some of those dare-devils to work for the force. They could sit out there with a suped-up police bike and chase them down after they got clocked. Anyway, it is not just 129 or Cherohala, they are on any piece of paved, windy road that crosses the mountains. And probably 70% of them are the inconsiderate ones. I just wish they could step outside of themselves for a spell and think about the potential impacts of their choices on others.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Byron and others--I just came across the accounts of those idiots who speed, tailgate, cross double yellow lines, pass illegally, and generaly constitut a meance to themselves and the general public while astride motorcycles. There are two issues here I haven't seen noted:
(1) The noise they generate is a major nuisance in the Park (and out). You can get away from a stream and literally hear them for miles. In my view, its a toss-up between motorcycles and horses as to which is more damaging. Motorbikes create noise pollution while horses create problems with erosion, trail destruction, and more. Just compare the Boogerman Trail with most any other one in the Cataloochee basin and the evidence hits you between the eyes (horses aren't allowed on Boogerman). Similarly, compare and contrast designated backcountry campsites where horses aren't allowed with those where they are.
(2) Accidents and the cost of getting medical personnel to them is creating a huge problem for both Swain and Graham Counties. As for the absence of law enforcement, whether on the Old Franklin Road (Highway 2, the Cherohala Highway, or 129, or other winding roads, that's a great mystery to me. I actually wonder if some local cops are intimidated (and I've never seen a motorcycle stopped in the Park, although I often see cars stopped). If there was steady and consistent enforcement, with hefty fines for major violations, the word would get out.
If these folks with middl two-digit IQs want to kill themselves, I guess that's all right; but I can't abide them affecting others (which they do, constantly). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM

It isn't worth patrolling those roads because a cop has no chance of catching someone on a motorcycle if they don't want to be caught...just something to think about... On the TN side of the Dragon, Blount County Sheriffs deputies are routinely patrolling but it is still hard to ticket people that can simply ride faster than your car will drive...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Plateau Angler--Good point, and one I had not thought about. Obviously if they are already willing to break all sorts of laws and abandon common sense, a little matter like fleeing from arrest won't trouble them. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Here's a company of questionable conscience that profits from rider's risking their own lives and the lives of others. If anything, I'd say they promote this behavior.
http://www.killboy.com/

I find the name of the company quite ironic.

If you look closely when crossing over deal's gap, you will see where they post up.
My wife has a picture on her computer of us giving the camera the "California Howdy" out the window as we pass thru the gap a few years back. Of course, we weren't willing to pay the $7, so it has "proof" written all over it.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM

I have often wondered if speed bumps or rumble strips would help slow the motorcycles and little cars down.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com